Zoomed in or out

the blur

100 -200 yards, I can zoom in or out, same POI. 2FP.
Once I'm past 250 yards, it's zoomed in only, or the POI is elsewhere. Not even sure where it is.

Where does your 2nd focal plane start shifting with zoom ?

100 -200 yards, I can zoom in or out, same POI. 2FP.
Once I'm past 250 yards, it's zoomed in only, or the POI is elsewhere. Not even sure where it is.

Where does your 2nd focal plane start shifting with zoom ?

It doesn't, or shouldn't.

We all know the POI changes with zoom levels (magnification). Hold over scope using sub tensions.

If you are using the hold overs, there is an app called strelok that with tell you the moa value of each particular hold over at any magnification level. As far as POI shift with zoom, It can happen with a scope. Some worse than others and some won't. It should be zero to very little shift in a decent scope.

Last edited:
How do you know what the calibrated magnification is? That's a new one for me.
The holdovers are accurate for a certain amount of MOA for whatever magnification that the manufacturer specifies on a SFP scope. It would tell you this in the scope manual. Strelok will tell you what the holdovers are worth in MOA with whatever magnification you tell strelok that you want to use.

Subtension values change with zoom, but POI doesn't (shouldn't) change with changes in magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.