Zoleo experience?

Can you also receive text messages from folk that don't own a Zoleo, and don't have the Zoleo subscription?
There was mention of an App...

Wondering if family / friends back in areas with cell phone coverage can text me when I'm in the Alaskan back country, with only satellite communication available???

Can you also receive text messages from folk that don't own a Zoleo, and don't have the Zoleo subscription?

Wondering if family / friends back in areas with cell phone coverage can text me when I'm in the Alaskan back country, with only satellite communication available???
YES, You are assign a normal 10 digit phone number (associated with your device). When you text someone (family, friends,...) that is the incoming phone number that they will see when a text from you comes in. They can just texted you back (like they would text anyone else), or they can text you first (provided they have that number).

The app runs on your phone only (other parties don't need to the app to message/text you if they have cell service). The app is used so you can interface with the device. The Zoleo device doesn't have a display, or keypad, you interface with it through the app on your phone (via bluetooth).

Thanks much! Sounds like the best option I've heard of for my use and needs.
Reasonable subscription rates and provides two-way text communications.

Is the Zoleo battery replaceable, in the field, or otherwise?
I could carry a battery power pack for more extended use, as an alternative, correct?

Also wondering if the Zoleo battery 🔋 is readily replaceable with a spare battery in the field? Do you happen to know?

I could carry a battery power pack for more extended use, as an alternative, correct?

Also wondering if the Zoleo battery 🔋 is readily replaceable with a spare battery in the field? Do you happen to know?
Is the Zoleo battery replaceable, in the field, or otherwise? NO (also see post above battery life).
I could carry a battery power pack for more extended use, as an alternative, correct? YES, that is what I do, I need one for my phone anyway. As I'm running ONX (Maps), and....

Sounds to me like we just need to get a solar powered charger or a generator with all these electronics you askin me to pack around out in them there mountains.

You prolly still think I put that rock in your pack too!! 😆

This has been a really good source of information on how Zoleo works! Thanks to everyone, particularly claybreaker's contributions. It looks like a solid option.

I second the thanks! Going to CO this year, and this evening my wife brought up the one big concern she has with me making the trip-emergency comms. I had looked at Garmin when trip planning started, but I like this option better (I think). After this fall, I won't need either, as this will probably be a once in a lifetime trip. Just trying to keep the costs under control.

Thanks to claybreaker, I just ordered (and received) my zoleo and a new battery pack. I did some more research and this looked like my best option.

Purchased a couple of zoleo units for this hunting season. My wife advised that she would really appreciate the peace of mind knowing that we could communicate. So thought I'd share my experience with the units. We are satisfied with the units. Pretty simple to use and worked quite well. The one thing that surprised me was when texting from zoleo to a cell phone that had service your text went through pretty darned fast. But when texting back and forth from one zoleo to another zoleo lots of times it would take better than 30 minutes for the messages to go through. But all in all things worked pretty darned smoothly. Would like to thank the people that contributed to this thread with all the great information they shared.

Recent Posts