Zoleo experience?

jebel

Do any of you have experience using the Zoleo satellite communicator?

I'm currently using the Garmin Inreach Mini and I have been pleased with it. The Zoleo seems to share much of the same characteristics and I'm curious to hear experiences, particularly if you also have experience with the Inreach Mini.

Thanks

My brother has one and it works great. It works as well or better then my InReach as far as getting messages in/out quickly.

I can not relate performance to any other device, but my Zoleo worked great for us in the CO bckcountry. The other guys in the our group all noted that it would be great if everyone had one so we could communicate during day or at night (radio are limited to distance).

But it allowed us to check in folks back home every evening. I really like the plans that you have to select from with the Zoleo.

For my needs I can recommend it without reservations. It does not have automatic periodic tracking but that is a feature I do not desire.

Battery life seems to be fantastic, but I did not leave the unit for hours on end. I would turn it on for a hour or 2 each evening. I used the Zoleo app on my phone for most functions, it lets you know battery life, signal strength, message status, when it would check for new messages,...

Great device, if my got gone or lost I would buy another.

I can not relate performance to any other device, but my Zoleo worked great for us in the CO bckcountry. The other guys in the our group all noted that it would be great if everyone had one so we could communicate during day or at night (radio are limited to distance).

But it allowed us to check in folks back home every evening. I really like the plans that you have to select from with the Zoleo.

For my needs I can recommend it without reservations. It does not have automatic periodic tracking but that is a feature I do not desire.

Battery life seems to be fantastic, but I did not leave the unit for hours on end. I would turn it on for a hour or 2 each evening. I used the Zoleo app on my phone for most functions, it lets you know battery life, signal strength, message status, when it would check for new messages,...

Great device, if my got gone or lost I would buy another.
Did you have to pay for three months at a time even though you were back at home and not needing the service. That's my only reservation with the Zoleo. The inReach is month by month.

If the unit has never been activated (registered, used,.. pick your term), then the minimum term is 3 months of service.... so that was $35 /mth for 3 months for me. Then I "suspended" the service and now it is $4/mth, with suspended service I retain the phone number and email address. Then I can reactivate (turn the service on) for 1 ,2 3 or for ever how many months I want (1 month minimum).

If I had choose to cancel the service after the initial 3 month service period, I would not have the $4/mth charge. But the next time I reactivate it it would be for a minimum of 3 months again. And you would likely have a different phone number.

For me the 3 months covers most of the hunting season, even "back home" I hunt in some areas that have no cell service.
Plus I could activate it for summer camping trips, loan it to friends if they are traveling or going into the backcountry, etc..

I guess it depends on what you think your needs will be. On the plan I choose it is 250 messages/mth. Basically everyone in the group can send a messages to home everyday (from the same phone).

If the unit has never been activated (registered, used,.. pick your term), then the minimum term is 3 months of service.... so that was $35 /mth for 3 months for me. Then I "suspended" the service and now it is $4/mth, with suspended service I retain the phone number and email address. Then I can reactivate (turn the service on) for 1 ,2 3 or for ever how many months I want (1 month minimum).

If I had choose to cancel the service after the initial 3 month service period, I would not have the $4/mth charge. But the next time I reactivate it it would be for a minimum of 3 months again. And you would likely have a different phone number.

For me the 3 months covers most of the hunting season, even "back home" I hunt in some areas that have no cell service.
Plus I could activate it for summer camping trips, loan it to friends if they are traveling or going into the backcountry, etc..

I guess it depends on what you think your needs will be. On the plan I choose it is 250 messages/mth. Basically everyone in the group can send a messages to home everyday (from the same phone).
Once you pay the activation fee the first three months then the $4/month do you have to do three months the next year after you pay the annual activation. Also I do appreciate you helping me by answering my questions.

No.
There is a distinct difference between "Suspending" and "Cancelling" the service.

If you "Suspend" after the initial 3 months:
1) You pay the $4/mth and keep your phone number & email.
2) And when you choose to restart (activate) the service you can pay only for single month or continue paying for as many months that you want. There is a 1 month minimum at whatever service level you choose.

For Example my service is suspended right now. If I wanted to activate it I can activate it for 1 month pay the service fee for whatever level I wanted. After that month I could then suspend it again and be charged $4/mth again for as many months as I choose.

If you "Cancel" after the initial 3 months:
1) You pay nothing monthly. (for months or years). You lose your phone and email.
2) If you want to restart (activate) the device. You have to pay for a minimum of 3 months service before you cancel or suspend the service.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

No.
There is a distinct difference between "Suspending" and "Cancelling" the service.

If you "Suspend" after the initial 3 months:
1) You pay the $4/mth and keep your phone number & email.
2) And when you choose to restart (activate) the service you can pay only for single month or continue paying for as many months that you want. There is a 1 month minimum at whatever service level you choose.

For Example my service is suspended right now. If I wanted to activate it I can activate it for 1 month pay the service fee for whatever level I wanted. After that month I could then suspend it again and be charged $4/mth again for as many months as I choose.

If you "Cancel" after the initial 3 months:
1) You pay nothing monthly. (for months or years). You lose your phone and email.
2) If you want to restart (activate) the device. You have to pay for a minimum of 3 months service before you cancel or suspend the service.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions.
Yes it absolutely helped. I need to go back and do my calculations differently. I was showing per year the garmin was cheaper to operate. Now I don't think it is.

I will add a side note about these and other Lithium power devices. I spent 30+ years as an electronics tech then design engineer before retiring. Some of the later years I design Lithium Battery packs for portable industrial instrumentation. One thing you can do to extend your lithium batteries when you are not going to use the device for months is to get the charge level on the battery to about 40% (+10, -5) and store it at about 20C (+/-5).

I will add a side note about these and other Lithium power devices. I spent 30+ years as an electronics tech then design engineer before retiring. Some of the later years I design Lithium Battery packs for portable industrial instrumentation. One thing you can do to extend your lithium batteries when you are not going to use the device for months is to get the charge level on the battery to about 40% (+10, -5) and store it at about 20C (+/-5).
Thanks for the heads up. After your insight, I do think the Zoleo is cheaper than the inReach. Thank you for the help.

If I understand, if you have 2 of the Zoleo units, one at camp and other in the field, these 2 units/people can text each other. Am I correct?

If I understand, if you have 2 of the Zoleo units, one at camp and other in the field, these 2 units/people can text each other. Am I correct?

That is correct, and that camp (or field) can be pretty much any camp in the world.

Now the messages are not "instant" like we experience with our phones. Messages can take a "few minutes", and those minutes can vary based on how each party has their device set to check for messages.
You set the time interval for how often the device checks messages.

Recent Posts