ziess or leica rangefinder

adam330

I am looking for new rangefinder, trying to decide between a leica crf 1200 and the ziess victory prf. Now for argument sake lets say they are the same price, which is better?

Thanks,
Adam

My only rangefinder is a cheap Bushnell. But, I own two identical spotting scopes, one Zeiss and one Leica. Both are 20-60 zoom; Leica is 77mm objective; Zeiss is 80mm objective. Both scopes are around 8 years old and sell in the same price range. So they are nearly identical in all respects.

I recently set both of them up on my front porch and at 60x, spotted on neighbor's garage door knob about 700 yards away. It is almost impossible to detect a difference in those brands. Both show the knob clearly. But I do believe the Leica image is just a tad more crisp.

This may or may not apply to a rangefinder. Point is, both manufacturers produce very good glass.

I have owned both,sold the leica and kept the zeiss. The Zeiss is awesome ranges very well. I have easily hit stuff up to 1475 so far. Optics are better than the Leica too.

I have the leica 1200. The zeiss just came out and Leica has been out for awhile now. August Leica is bringing out the new 1600 for around $750 I heard. Make sure you are comparing new technology to new technology. You buy the zeiss, Leica and swaro come out with the new ones that spank the crap out of zeiss for not much more you might be a little irratated. This is a hypothetical statement I don't know how good the new ones will be.

Wait for a little bit if you want a range finder you will more than likely see alot used for sale soon when people are upgrading. I know I will be selling mine and upgrading to the new technology.

My Leica ranges pretty well out to 1000yds. I like the pocket size of it for when I am bowhunting. The 1600 is supposed to be the same size.

Just my opinion

Brent

Last edited:
Of the currently made ones the Zeiss is better than Leica. The new Leica 1600 may change this.

Aaron Davidson "Best of the West" is supposed to be bringing one out also that is really nice. I wonder if Swaro will be bringing out one to match the others. Correct me if I am wrong but the new ones are supposed to be correcting for uphill downhill and have the temp aren't they?

Brent

i picked up the zeiss and compared it to some buddies leica 1200 and leica geovids and i'd have to give it the advantage. now i don't know how strong their batteries were as mine were brand new but the zeiss seemed to pick out rocks and trees a hair better than the leica's did and definitely worked better in foggy/hazy situations. ranged a coyote in a corn stubble field last week at 943 yards.

$599 at Zeiss - Camera Land NY

can't really go wrone with either and i'm betting the new leica 1600 will top them both but the zeiss has brought me to the end of my shooting capability.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts