zeroing in on my 300WM hunting load

Thanks for the response,
I know ramshot magnum isnt listed on barnes newer published data. I do however have what i believe is older data that lists the 175lrx and that powder. The powder seems to burn very clean, and is shooting well from what i am gathering. Their testing shows a 24" barrel.

My barrel is a 26" 1:10 twist. The 200lrx requires 1:10 twist or faster. I went out on a wim with that 200lrx, knowing i could fall back on the 175. The 200 is a crazy long bullet. I was after that extra bit of BC while staying copper.

I live and hunt in california right now, so if anything the temps may be just a bit cooler during hunting season.

Ive got 10 more rounds of both the higher and lower charge 175lrx loaded up, and hope to test them next weekend at distance while gathering some more data on the chrono.
if you're hunting deer in California with this load you should have no problem. The largest deer I've ever seen in this state weighs under 150 lbs, most weigh around 100 or less. Your 175 gr bullet should be more than adequate for any range at which you feel comfortable shooting. But in my experience, if the season opens in August, your temps will be in the 90s or higher.

if you're hunting deer in California with this load you should have no problem. The largest deer I've ever seen in this state weighs under 150 lbs, most weigh around 100 or less. Your 175 gr bullet should be more than adequate for any range at which you feel comfortable shooting. But in my experience, if the season opens in August, your temps will be in the 90s or higher.
Yeah A zone is super hot, tail end of B zone should be quite cooler though. I was happy with how the factory ammo shot out of my new 300wm. However, theres just something in me that enjoys making ammo, testing it, and finding something that could potentially work even better. Just wish i got an earlier start for this year!

Shot the 81.5gr and 82gr again today. 10rds of each. 81.5gr had better groups and lower SD so thats what i am going to run with. Hovering at 3250fps. Loaded up several more rounds with different seating depths to hopefully fine tune a bit more. Looking forward to the upcoming hunting season!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.