Zero for different state.

tknuts103

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out my rifle/scope hunting setup for mule deer this year and my question is how do most of you sight in your rifle for a new place without actually going there to shoot? I live in Minnesota with an elevation of 1360 and will be hunting Pine Ridge, Nebraska with an elevation of 3241. I was thinking I would use the Strelok ballistic app because it let's me zero the rifle for Minnesota but then gives me a table for Nebraska when I enter their information.
When I compare the tables now it reads something like.....

200 yd. NE .34. MN 0
300yd. NE 2.71 MN 2.15
400yd. NE 5.46 MN 4.64
500yd. NE 8.53 MN 7.41 ....all in MOA

Would you guys just sight it in for Minnesota and then use the Nebraska table when it comes time? Or do I have to re-zero it in Nebraska?

Last edited:
You're within 1.1" at 500. I wouldn't worry too much about it. That being said, you should always shoot a couple to verify before your first hunt each season anyway... especially when traveling.
I am assuming you are paying a guide, etc. It would be a shame to take the time and $ to hunt there and blow a shot on a good animal because your scope was off.

You're within 1.1" at 500. I wouldn't worry too much about it. That being said, you should always shoot a couple to verify before your first hunt each season anyway... especially when traveling.
I am assuming you are paying a guide, etc. It would be a shame to take the time and $ to hunt there and blow a shot on a good animal because your scope was off.
I appreciate everyone's help. Yes, I am paying a rancher to take me out and let me hunt his land. He told me I shouldn't have trouble getting a deer within 100 but I would rather be prepared for a further shot. I will try to get there earlier in the week and verify my zero and hopefully further shots as well. I just wasn't sure if other hunters trusted the ballistic apps or actually shot every distance once at the destination. I'm assuming I can find a place to shoot at least my 200 zero but I don't know beyond that.

yes, you said your numbers were in MOA. Your numbers indicate you are 1.09 moa low in NE. 1 click at 500 yards =1.25 MOA so you will be within .15 moa.

By the way, I am not sure what calculator your using but your calculations seem wrong to me. Higher altitude should result in less drop because the air is "thinner" and usually ~2000 ft of elevation doesn't make that much difference, your 1.09 MOA equates to 5.7 inches at 500 yards that seems like a lot.

Last edited:
yes, you said your numbers were in MOA. Your numbers indicate you are 1.09 moa low in NE. 1 click at 500 yards =1.25 MOA so you will me with in .15 moa.

By the way, I am not sure what calculator your using but your calculations seem wrong to me. Higher altitude should result in less drop because the air is "thinner" and usually ~2000 ft of elevation doesn't make that much difference your 1.09 MOA equates to 5.7 inches at t

I used Strelok and I know the numbers are probably off a little bit, I was just using it as an example. I entered it as if I was sighting in my rifle on a 75 degree day and at my current altitude and then compared it to a 40 degree day (guessing the temp will be close to that early mornings November) with their altitude. I am sure the numbers will change depending on when I fully sight my rifle in and what the weather is like there come hunting. I will double check the info again, I was more just trying to give an example and see what you guys do. Thanks for helping

Use your 4-600 yard dope and shoot what your calculator tells you at a rock when you get there. If your off adjust to proper vertical and then slip your turret to that moa/yardage. This works especially well if your running a turret with yardage like a cds.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out my rifle/scope hunting setup for mule deer this year and my question is how do most of you sight in your rifle for a new place without actually going there to shoot? I live in Minnesota with an elevation of 1360 and will be hunting Pine Ridge, Nebraska with an elevation of 3241. I was thinking I would use the Strelok ballistic app because it let's me zero the rifle for Minnesota but then gives me a table for Nebraska when I enter their information.
When I compare the tables now it reads something like.....

200 yd. NE .34. MN 0
300yd. NE 2.71 MN 2.15
400yd. NE 5.46 MN 4.64
500yd. NE 8.53 MN 7.41 ....all in MOA

Would you guys just sight it in for Minnesota and then use the Nebraska table when it comes time? Or do I have to re-zero it in Nebraska?
A great rangefinder such as the BR 2 Takes an elevation air density temperature great tool price somewhere between 1502 2500 depending on which version you get. I've had great luck with it