Zero at 100 Yards and Leave Turret at 200 Yards for Hunting?

Lol. Leupold bought premier. Now no one will put a reticle in but they **** sure will sell you a new scope. I'm gutting animals and packing them out while the new clueless age is trying to connect their blue tooth reading 14 electronic devices and waving crap around in the air. My favorite reply is if you actually knew anything about what all that junk does you wouldn't need it.
I believe you are incorrect with regard to Leupold buying out Premier Reticles.
Premier had changed direction and decided to manufacture scopes of their own brand, and not just be a Leupold service center that also provided custom reticle services as thay had done for many years.
There had also been a regime change in management due to the death Dick Thomas, with his son taking charge of the company.
I believe the company failed as a scope builder, and was ultimately bought out by a Canadien company.
Statistics will show that most small companies fail in the third generation of management.
Due of coarse to better management.

Premier had changed direction and decided to manufacture scopes of their own brand, and not just be a Leupold service center that also provided custom reticle services as thay had done for many years.
There had also been a regime change in management due to the death Dick Thomas, with his son taking charge of the company.
I believe the company failed as a scope builder, and was ultimately bought out by a Canadien company.
Statistics will show that most small companies fail in the third generation of management.
You could be correct. It just seemed odd Premier stopped making them and referred me (pre internet use) to Leupold. Then Leupold started offering them. Now Leupold is done. I dragged my feet too long and have several Leupolds I would like different reticles in. Do you know anyone that does it now?

My. 270. Win whitetail load shooting a. 130 Grn bullet with A. G1 BC of 591 at 3050. FPS , is usually set for 100. Yard zero . If a 150 yard or 200. Yard shot presents itself, there is. No. Need to touch the. Turrets . If I Am. Told to. Expect shots between 200. And. 300 yards on a. Given Hunt. I. Change to a 200. Yard Zero! Then I m a. Bit High at100 yards. Zero at 200, slightly low at 300. So. Hold a bit higher in the. Deer ! Still. Not. Touching the. Turrets !! The. Few times I. Hunted. Mule deer and antelope, the 270 Weatherby Mag was. Set. For 300 yards zero ! Suggestion made by the. Outfitter. Before I arrived! Glad I Listened

We've used a 300 yard zero on our hunting (bid game) rifles for around 30 years. So far, it's worked quite well! memtb

I pulled this thread up again cause I did exactly what was discussed here. I have a 100 yard zero but when I get in box blind, I set the turret to up 1.5 MOA which is a 200 yard zero. This way I keep my 100 yard zero on my zero stop turret but can adjust to the scenario I am hunting.

Did the same this year and honestly liked it better since I live / shoot at sea level and hunt elk at 6000' to 10000'. Zero at 100y and adjust my turret to my required MPBR zero in the conditions I will be hunting in.

Then I still have my sig2400abs to adjust my shots further out.

Tangent Theta…

The way I understand, premier went bankrupt. Tangent Theta bought various assets out of that bankruptcy. It's all been gone over ad nauseum over the years.

I should have clarified when advocating a 100yd zero. It all depends on what "long range" is to the shooter. If your max shot is going to be 300 yds, sure... zero at 200 and let it rip. Hope everyone had a successful season.

.... still advocate that 100yd zero tho lol

MPBR. Problem solved.
Not a bad solution for many. To me the issues with MPBR are that it drives folks to a 6-378 Weatherby type round! Most folks need a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08. Both are killers and shoot rather easily. MBPR could be quite effective in zero wind and with a hot round, but why do that to yourself?

The whole premise behind the "professionals" claim of a 100 yard zero is the effect of atmospheric conditions difference between a 100 yard and 200 yard zero.
IMO, it is not the weather, but the wind that drives me to think I can find the best zero at 100. 200 is only 0.4mils up, 300 0.8, 400 1.6, 500 2.2, I think….600 2.6. Those are mils at yards. I find over 500, the Kestrel helps.

Lol. Leupold bought premier. Now no one will put a reticle in but they **** sure will sell you a new scope. I'm gutting animals and packing them out while the new clueless age is trying to connect their blue tooth reading 14 electronic devices and waving crap around in the air. My favorite reply is if you actually knew anything about what all that junk does you wouldn't need it.
Leupold is still mostly stuck in the reticle dark ages. Maybe they will offer m3 a job to teach them purpose built devices over whatever you can string together marketing!

Can you name the 14 devices? I have:
Rangefinder
Kestrel
Phone
uhh??

Since you don't need any of that, can you tell me the hold for a 28 Sherman Mag at 792 yards, with a 26 mph 11 o'clock wind without any electronics? Faster is better, the elk are starting to move on.

Does anyone zero at 100 yards but set their turret for 200 yard shot or MPBR and just hold on vitals out to a max range for simplicity? I can see how a 100 yard zero is convenient and with an elevation turret leaving it set on 1.75 MOA for example when hunting so it's an easy viral hold out to 250 yards or so. Anything further can be dialed.
All depends on the caliber. Instead of getting fancy, I just zero my 300 Roy at 300 and put the crosshairs on anything from a 100 out to 400 and don't really touch the dial until much after that.

Not a bad solution for many. To me the issues with MPBR are that it drives folks to a 6-378 Weatherby type round! Most folks need a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08. Both are killers and shoot rather easily. MBPR could be quite effective in zero wind and with a hot round, but why do that to yourself?
I get that issue for a lot of people. I have used it for decades with all my rifles from woods rifles to open country cannons. I just run my own numbers, and my current open country rifles 300RUM, 28N, 7STW, 7 RM are all 4" high at 100. I know my dope and wind for 10mph. I dont shoot past 4-500 if there is much wind and I can do quick math in my head for those ranges and speed. I do agree some cannot, and I am a geek too. I carry a Kestrel, and still have not put my ballistics into my Leica's.
Leupold is still mostly stuck in the reticle dark ages. Maybe they will offer m3 a job to teach them purpose built devices over whatever you can string together marketing!
I do agree, and I am a Leupold fan. I just don't want to spend what other scopes cost. They have been great to me over the years and I have confidence in them.

Can you name the 14 devices? I have:
Rangefinder
Kestrel
Phone
uhh??

Since you don't need any of that, can you tell me the hold for a 28 Sherman Mag at 792 yards, with a 26 mph 11 o'clock wind without any electronics? Faster is better, the elk are starting to move on.
I have no idea how fast it shoots what bullet. I could give you the drop guess and would never give that shot a blink of thought in wind over 10mph. Real quick though for the wind I would cut the distance shown on my taped on chart by 70 percent. How close was I on the wind.

I have access to shoot at 100yd, 200yd and 300yd. I just do a tall target test. I zero at 100 shoot a group of 5, then move the tall target to 200yd and shoot another group of 5 at the same poi as at 100yd, then move to 300yd and shoot another group of 5. It assumes you can shoot respectable groups at those ranges and This takes a while to do and requires some patience because I don't let the barrel get hot enough to cause any on target drifting. Once I get the distance between groups 100yd to 200yd, the 200yd to 300yd, I have real live data, there will be no math errors or missing set up criteria. I then use a ballistic calculator to see if it produces the results I produced on target. If it does then I produce a ballistic chart, out to whatever range I desire, encase it in a weatherproof sleeve and attach it to my rifle stock. I have one scope that adjusts in moa's per click, all the rest are 1/4" per click. Just to cut down on my decision making at shot time I've stopped using the moa scope just because I found that the fewer things that I have to think about when that big rack buck is standing at 350yds the better off I am. Sometimes the blink of an eye is all the time you have.

Depending or rifle/cartridge I usually sight 1" to 2" high at 100. That way from 0 yards to 300 yeards I do not need to think about it,