Zero at 100 Yards and Leave Turret at 200 Yards for Hunting?

Is my Marine sniper 85E nephew a "professional " i asked him last night what they zeroed there rifles at he said 200 YARDS.

Yes, I'd say he was an expert in his MOS and has quite a bit of knowledge with the type of weapon(s) and ammunition(s) he uses, but... most things have to be put into contexts especially on the two range. So is a 200 yard good or bad for big game hunting? well, that certainly would depend on a married of effects and causes. Go with what works and what you get the highest percentage of hits where you want them. Cheers... just my 0.02

Just a quick observation since spending 3 consecutive days hunting the whitetail rut here in Tennessee, deer are on the move and seldom present an easy broadside shot. I can see where a 200 yard zero with say a 270 makes sense. A hunter likely won't have time to get set up for the shot by reading a dope card and dialing. I've watched several deer cruising through the field in front of me 200-300 yards giving only brief pauses to take a shot. When they are cruising the distance is constantly changing which would make precise dialing difficult. In this scenario having a zero that will allow a crosshairs on brown is ideal.

Just a quick observation since spending 3 consecutive days hunting the whitetail rut here in Tennessee, deer are on the move and seldom present an easy broadside shot. I can see where a 200 yard zero with say a 270 makes sense. A hunter likely won't have time to get set up for the shot by reading a dope card and dialing. I've watched several deer cruising through the field in front of me 200-300 yards giving only brief pauses to take a shot. When they are cruising the distance is constantly changing which would make precise dialing difficult. In this scenario having a zero that will allow a crosshairs on brown is ideal.
That is why I zero at 100 and then dial up, based on current condition, to I hunt with a rifle set for 200 Yards.

Thats why I said in the beginning its not a one size fits all. Just because one person says its the way it should be done doesn't mean it will work for another's situation.

I really do not understand anything but zeroing for anything other than maximum PBR. This is usually between 325-350 yards or about 3" high at 100. If an Animal is close, 350 or under, I don't have to think about anything.

i know my guns: 400, 500, and 600 are 2, 4 , & 6.5 moa up. Very fast. If further I should have time to think about it.

That's how I start, absolute zero at 100 yards to begin. If we are farther out I'll use a BDC or range card if it's a lot, otherwise hold over.

I pulled this thread up again cause I did exactly what was discussed here. I have a 100 yard zero but when I get in box blind, I set the turret to up 1.5 MOA which is a 200 yard zero. This way I keep my 100 yard zero on my zero stop turret but can adjust to the scenario I am hunting.

I pulled this thread up again cause I did exactly what was discussed here. I have a 100 yard zero but when I get in box blind, I set the turret to up 1.5 MOA which is a 200 yard zero. This way I keep my 100 yard zero on my zero stop turret but can adjust to the scenario I am hunting.
I could with a 270 win and a 130 gr BT a 250 yard zero would make sense. 0-200 yards never more than 3 inches high and about 3.6 inches low at 300 yards. Pretty much aim heart/ lung at any time while hunting.

Just depends. My last elk rifle 300RUM with a 180AB at 3400 is 4" high at 100. I don't dial a click to almost 500. When I put a new scope reticle on it I won't click to 1000

My new 28N will be the same.....but I don't plan on adding a single click to 100" because of the scope reticle.

Have not verified it as it has not showed up but paper says my pending 338 Edge will do the same thing.

MPBR. Problem solved.

Just depends. My last elk rifle 300RUM with a 180AB at 3400 is 4" high at 100. I don't dial a click to almost 500. When I put a new scope reticle on it I won't click to 1000

My new 28N will be the same.....but I don't plan on adding a single click to 100" because of the scope reticle.

Have not verified it as it has not showed up but paper says my pending 338 Edge will do the same thing.
Back to the future. lol
Prior to about the mid 80s, there were no target knobs on scopes other than the target types like Unertl, which is why those type scopes were used on many long range hunting rifles. Fact is that many of the well known scopes of today didnt even exist at that point.
But custom reticles were popular from companies like Premier Reticles, and many of us used them in scopes like Leupold, in fact Premier would only install them in Leupolds.
Im still using a few of them in some of my rifles, no dialing at all is required. But you are required to be very familiar with your gun and how it works.

The whole premise behind the "professionals" claim of a 100 yard zero is the effect of atmospheric conditions difference between a 100 yard and 200 yard zero. For my load of over a dozen years( 3000FPS/g7BC .32) the drop diffetence between a 100 yard zero and a 200 yard zero is 1.1 MOA. This does not change using at least a half a dozen different ballistic calculators with atmospherics ranging from sea level to 9000 ft and temperature ranging from 20-85F. Whether zeroed at 100 or 200 yards, that 1.1 MOA difference in elevation and actual POI is consistent to at least 1200 yards(my max hunting range) given I have accurately accounted for range and atmospheric conditions. When I set my zero, whether it is 100 or 200 yards, I will confirm the POI at both distances. If using a 200 yard zero, I will set my scopes zero stop to allow a 100 yard check.. This serves as a rifle/load/form check as much as as a zero check. Given the aforementioned, my choice of a 200 yard zero for LRH is a function of convenience and confirmation. Using a 200 yard zero, my elevation adjustments are easy to remember, 1MOA increments for each 50 yards to 400 yards which is 4MOA. A supplemental, and exact 200 yard zero gives me high confidence. Regardless of all opinions on the subject, for over a decade,I have taken dozens of varmints and game animals from 500-1200 yards using either 100 or 200 yard scope zeros with no difference in results. On the other hand, setting a 100 yard scope zero exclusively for the tactical competition sports makes for easy match communication since a 100 yard zero is common practice amongst the shooters and spotters.
I surely respect the opinions of the experts…..But. I respect my actual results and experiences more!

"They said faster horses were the answer".
-Henry Ford

My. 270. Win whitetail load shooting a. 130 Grn bullet with A. G1 BC of 591 at 3050. FPS , is usually set for 100. Yard zero . If a 150 yard or 200. Yard shot presents itself, there is. No. Need to touch the. Turrets . If I Am. Told to. Expect shots between 200. And. 300 yards on a. Given Hunt. I. Change to a 200. Yard Zero! Then I m a. Bit High at100 yards. Zero at 200, slightly low at 300. So. Hold a bit higher in the. Deer ! Still. Not. Touching the. Turrets !! The. Few times I. Hunted. Mule deer and antelope, the 270 Weatherby Mag was. Set. For 300 yards zero ! Suggestion made by the. Outfitter. Before I arrived! Glad I Listened

Back to the future. lol
Prior to about the mid 80s, there were no target knobs on scopes other than the target types like Unertl, which is why those type scopes were used on many long range hunting rifles. Fact is that many of the well known scopes of today didnt even exist at that point.
But custom reticles were popular from companies like Premier Reticles, and many of us used them in scopes like Leupold, in fact Premier would only install them in Leupolds.
Im still using a few of them in some of my rifles, no dialing at all is required. But you are required to be very familiar with your gun and how it works.
Lol. Leupold bought premier. Now no one will put a reticle in but they **** sure will sell you a new scope. I'm gutting animals and packing them out while the new clueless age is trying to connect their blue tooth reading 14 electronic devices and waving crap around in the air. My favorite reply is if you actually knew anything about what all that junk does you wouldn't need it.