Zeiss vs. Leupold

srhaggerty

I am having trouble deciding between these scopes, and thought maybe you all could help.

Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50mm Mil Dot

Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x40mm LR BC reticle

Any thoughts, comments, or opinions would be appreciated.

Not sure why Zeiss went with a 50mm objective lens though. I always liked the 44mm, and thought that it was just right...sakofan....

confused.gif

Thanks Jon.
I wasn't sure if they discontinued the 44mm obj. or not, but the new line of Conquest I saw somewhere all had 50mm. objectives.

Yeah, I'm a 40mm guy, I guess. They mount lower, less weight, etc.

You would probably be well served with either scope. Friends that use the Leupold BC reticle seem to love it.

I would recommend the Conquest only because I thought so highly of mine...sakofan.

I just wonder if the 6mm difference is going to be noticeable. I kind of think not, but I don't have much experience to back it.

I can tell you that the 6mm difference wont make a squats difference. The 44 is lightyears ahead of most anything else as it is. But a Zeiss rep told me back lastyear about the 50s coming out. It was strictly a marketing measure. They were inundated with requests by customers and dealers. They opinion is "Why fight it?" And I cant blame them, dont give em whats best, give em what they "think" they want and need. Nikon has done the same thing with their new 4x12x50 BuckMasters. Dont fight the tide, swim with it and prosper.

I know as a dealer I can carry a customer into the parking lot and SHOW them the difference between a 50mm XYZ vs a 44mm Conquest and most of the rockheads will STILL pick the 50 "just because". I think it goes back too the old days and the, "I shoot a 45 cause they dont make a 46 mentality". I also sell more Leupold than anything, but I honestly will tell anyone that despite the new changes... the VXIII is still NOT up too Conquest performance levels. And the prices for the new Leupys have just about put them on the heels of the Diavari and Swarovski price points. I think Leupold is treading on dangerous ground. Leupold also tells us that the ONLY reason they even build a 50mm is for marketing too the southern deerhunter. The 40mm vs 50mm sales north of the Mason-Dixon line is a moot point, the 40s rule. But not for us southerners. We "think" we gotta have a bigger manhole cover.

STRICTLY marketing,
RA

ps
You oughta see the feelings I hurt when I tell folks that paid extra for Leupys 30mm tubes that they actually STILL have 1" glass inside the tube...

The Zeiss is by far the beter quality scope. the advantage of the leupold is the 30mm tube, not because it has larger internals for extra light transmission but it gives you more room for internal adjustment.
Zeiss should stick with 44mm Obj and get a 30mm tube, they would have a contender to take on the NXS and the like, but they won't do that because they have the Davari 6-24x56 with a 30mm tube that costs much more.
Pete

I have become a Conquest convert. I've been using IOR exclusively for around 10 years, and have become spoiled by this excellent euro glass. Over the past year I have bought two scopes for Kimber rifles. The IOR's in 4-14 are too big for an ultra light rifle so I compared Leuy side by side with Zeiss, and I bought Zeiss...twice!

How about the warrenty, how do they compare?

I think the Leupold has a lifetime warranty, and I have heard they are user friendly, how about Zeiss?

Greenhorn,

Zeiss has a transferable life time warranty. They are good to deal with. Now days, Leupold is not the only manufacturer with a good warranty and customer service.

Jon, have you ever dealt with Nikon's CS dept?? Friends of mine have, and said they were great.

Unfortunately, my Nikon's have failed to fail, so I can't elaborate on the CS dept...sakofan...
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.