Zeiss Victory T FL 8-42 binocs

Ian M

Just got a set of these, interested to compare them to some of the other top-end binocs around.
First impressions:
- very nice ergonomics, fit the hand, focus wheel is in perfect position for use.
- nicde size, not too big but still fit well in my hands, very good eyepiece and focus adjustments
- light weight, nice solid feel but seem to be much lighter than some other binocs I use
- optics - not ready to say too much yet, but they appear to be super sharp out to edges, bright as any 8-42's I have tested

The trend appears to be to lighten these grade of binoc, judging from Nikons, Swarovskis and Leicas I have recently used. Very hard to beat the top-end Nikons (LX's), will be hunting with both to compare.

A few years back I carried four sets of binocs - Nikon LX, Zeiss Nightowls, Leica and Swarovski SLC's. All 8-42/45's. Dozens of hunters and guides used them, asked to rate them. Optics qualities, ergonomics, weight, "feel", looks. Final talley came out in the above order.

Would like to do that again since all of the above companies have upgraded models since I did that little test - quite a lot of messing around to get a big enough sample to mean anything - took almost two years.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.