Zeiss Victory RF 10x45 Rangefinder Binocular Review

Gee whizzicers, Len:rolleyes: That was a costly review. It really got my dream wheel spinning up.

When you say 1300 yd published range is conservative and mention the pine tree @ 1485? What's your definition of conservative?

Just reread the article. Ignore the question. Answered by "first I've seen from a manufacturer."

Last edited:
Well, it already ranged past the stated range...in bright sunlight. I wish I had some quality time with it to see how it would do with deer poking up out of a sage brush field. But...color problem for me.

If not for my color issue I was going to buy one from SWFA.

I appreciate the color thing.......

I'm thinkin' the monocular will work as only my right eye is up to snuff. That is until the cataract gets removed from the lefty next spring:rolleyes:

They also have a pretty nifty 10X60 S and BS, whatever S and BS mean, that for a few bucks look super good to replace a bino.

I'm tryng to decide between the Victory FL 10x42 without rangefinder, and the RF 10x45. THere's almost a grand difference which I don't mind paying as long as the image quality is at least the same.

Dess the RF model use the same prisms and coatings as the 8x42, in which case would it be somewhat better in light gathering performance because of the larger objective?

Thanks for sharing your opinions/knowledge.

Chris Farris of SWFA says:
This is a tough one. Bottom line-same coatings, same prisms. However,
due to the beam splitter, the optical quality of the 10x42 is better.
You would be hard pressed to see the difference and the larger objective
on the RF will help by producing a larger exit pupil.

If you did not know which one you were looking through you would not be
able to tell me which one you were looking through.

Chris

Thanks. Good info.

The RF model is also much heavier so everything comes at a price beyond $$$.

Hi, how does the zeiss victory RF 10x45 range finder compare to the Leica BRF 10x42 range finder:)

I'm doing a review of the Zeiss RF's in NZ Hunter at the moment. We've been using them hunting for the last few weeks, and I've done a lot of testing and comparisons.

All in all, the Zeiss RF's are proving to be the most user friendly, quickest to get a range, have far and away the best daylight ranging capabilities, and have very good optics. They are the best eye safe hunting rangefinder on the market at the moment.

Last edited:
So how is the testing going? I am trying to decide whether to go with the Leica Geovids or the Zeiss RF's. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Len, Thanks for the review. Wow, I was pretty sick in the belly when you said it was available for around $700. I just bought a Leica crf for 699 a few months ago and I wasn't excited about it's performance, but content. I was a little releived when I saw the SWFA price to be in the thousands rather than the hundereds lol!

Britz, you understand that the $700 is for the non-binocular version, right?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.