Zeiss victory or Swarovski

Smoak352

I am in the market for a new scope. I have a Zeiss conquest and multiple VX-3 Leupolds. I looked through a pair very nice Swarovski binoculars recently and I was amazed at the clarity. I am guessing you have to get the Zeiss Victory or a swarovski to get clarity better than the conquest or VX-3??

This is what I did.

I did purchase in Dec 2010 and this is why. The only 5 ELK I saw in Oct. 2010 on my CO hunt came single file across in front of me with 10 min left on the shooting clock, on a NE slope at 9kft on a bluebird day. At 100 yds., they fed across 50 Yds into the next woods, in 5 min. First 4 I could tell were cows....time passed and # 5 eased on out and I could not make out what headgear he was wearing! Looked like at least 2.5' of vertical and that is all I could get out of my scope (CO is a No Spike state). I made a management decision on the way back to camp in the dark that I would trade the FINAL ELK hunt of my life for some glass NOW, that would not let me down in the last 5 min of shooting time on a bluebird day. My eyes are almost 70 so I ain't far from that Final hunt....lol

Did my homework in Nov. then drove 200 miles and took my T-3 338WM with a 2008_VX III LR, 4.5-14x50_30mm tube B & C on it to a store that had the Z6 and Diavari's. Got there at Sun set and for 30 min. looked through all 3 every 5 min. at a horse and fence on a hill about 150yds out. Went with the Zeiss Victory FL Diavari 4-16x50T* with Rapid Z 800 Ret.

Cost! I'm one hunt $hort now! You get what you pay for in GLASS and coatings. It's an investment in my Grandchildren! Mileage may vary!
Good Luck.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/nf-swaro-zeiss-scopes-wwyb-69398/

hard to go wrong either way, but the swarovski has better magnification range and some better features at the moment. i'd go that route

hard to go wrong either way, but the swarovski has better magnification range and some better features at the moment. i'd go that route

One thing to remember about magnification range is that in that last second of legal shooting time you got to have a low enough # to gather the MAX amout of light for YOUR EYE to process so you can tell if it is a legal Bull or not or all the power in the world will not help you. That is what the $709 Lupe and the $350 Nikon 800 RF did not do for me. I have upgraded all that I can afford - trading my FINAL hunt $$$$ for the $799 Leica CRF 1600 (great Glass)and the $2,228 Victory FL Diavari 4-16x50T* with Rapid Z 800 Ret. .....now I'm back to 10' tall - bullet proof - and can see in the dark - :rolleyes:.
My eye function requires me to have a scope that has 3, 4 or 5 power as a bottom number so that I can see
clearly for the "Final Time on Target"! Now, ALL the monkeys are riding on my back!! Kill or Miss! I like it that way.
Good Luck with your choices.

One thing to remember about magnification range is that in that last second of legal shooting time you got to have a low enough # to gather the MAX amout of light for YOUR EYE to process so you can tell if it is a legal Bull or not or all the power in the world will not help you. That is what the $709 Lupe and the $350 Nikon 800 RF did not do for me. I have upgraded all that I can afford - trading my FINAL hunt $$$$ for the $799 Leica CRF 1600 (great Glass)and the $2,228 Victory FL Diavari 4-16x50T* with Rapid Z 800 Ret. .....now I'm back to 10' tall - bullet proof - and can see in the dark - :rolleyes:.
My eye function requires me to have a scope that has 3, 4 or 5 power as a bottom number so that I can see
clearly for the "Final Time on Target"! Now, ALL the monkeys are riding on my back!! Kill or Miss! I like it that way.
Good Luck with your choices.

good observation, thats another reason i like those magnification ranges with the swarovski, they have a 2.5-15x56, 15 on the high end you could comfortably make some very long shots. 2.5 on the low end would work for quick shots on the way to the stand or in low light.

I have swarovski rifle scope wouldn't trade it for the world.But I'm going to buy a zeiss scope for my muzzle loader a victory diavari 3-12x56 T* I'll fined out which one's better then.I'm buying it this spring.One other thing one should think about is reflection when shooting at sun set or sun rise when face toward the sun. I found that out this year with my son gun and a nikon 6-24x50 monarch scope and lost out on shooting a buck to much orange and yellow reflection couldn't really see the buck though the scope then I pulled my gun up with a swarovski PH 6-24x50 scope and there was no reflection to block the shot but it was to late the buck disappeared in to the brush he was just over 580 yards away.I'm glad you posted this.

Last edited:
I have the Z5 5-25x52..it is great. I took it down to do a side by side with a Zeiss 4-16x50 FL..the Ziess is better. I find the Swaro to be little more yellow if that makes sense. Also set on 5 power, the Ziess was clearer and actually looked like higher in magnification. This maybe due to the FFP vs SFP but regardless..they are both awesome. A better comparison would have been the Z6. Anyway I am buying a Zeiss and S&B Summit for Christmas.

I have the Z5 5-25x52..it is great. I took it down to do a side by side with a Zeiss 4-16x50 FL..the Ziess is better. I find the Swaro to be little more yellow if that makes sense. Also set on 5 power, the Ziess was clearer and actually looked like higher in magnification. This maybe due to the FFP vs SFP but regardless..they are both awesome. A better comparison would have been the Z6. Anyway I am buying a Zeiss and S&B Summit for Christmas.

Sounds like your giving your self a nice christmas gift or two.Let us know how these two scopes compare to one another.

When I did my test, at dark, outside the gun store, the Z6 and the Zeiss Victory FL Diavari 4-16x50T* came up about equal at clarity and no color disparity. I might be able to hunt in the dark with both on a full moon....:rolleyes:
It was a Ford - Chevy kind of thing with me. Wanted best German glass I could find and now I'm happy with the Diavari.
Good Luck.

My 14yr old son killed a nice doe this year with a Z3 3-10X42 on a 308 Rem. 70 at 130yrds. It was a cloudy day which the light was dimming fast. When he took the shot, even though it was still legal hours, the dear were not visable with the naked eye but very clearly seen with my Swaro. Binos and his scope. I have no doubt the Zeiss is just as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.