Zeiss V6 or Leupold VX6HD For a new build

B23

I've got a new 22-243 build going together and I'm looking for suggestions on what to scope it with.

I, kinda, or at least I think I have, narrowed it down to either the Zeiss V6 3-18x50 or Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 but I'm still open to suggestions.

I have a non HD VX6 3-18x50 on my 20-250 and a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 on my 22-250, both are relatively decent and comparable but I'd like a little better glass on this new build. Have quite a few NF NXS on different things and they're great scopes too, just looking for something a bit lighter and with really great optics.

Open to any and all suggestions.

I just purchased a Zeiss v6 3-18x50 and also have a Leupold VX6 non HD. Zeiss is nice, but I am not sure if I like the ZMOA reticle thickness. I much prefer the TMOA on the Leupold. I can't really tell that much difference in glass quality between the two, but that is just looking through them. The only reason I selected the Zeiss was for the turrets and tracking might be better than the Leupold, but not sure on that either. Conclusion, either will work fine and I could be just as happy with a Leupold.

Boy you are splitting hairs. The Leupold VX6HD will be a touch lighter and a little more low profile with the turrets. The VX6HD also comes with the nice alumina flip up caps, which would cost you another ~$100 to add on, so thats a nice touch. To my eyes the glass is the same in both scopes...great and clear in both. I think the Zeiss probably feels a little more robust like it can take more of a beating if you are going to hunt with it, but the turrets are taller and more intrusive.

I have both the HD and non HD versions of the V6 and the HD is quite a bit better in my opinion. The locking turrets and the built in reticle level are a nice addition too. The mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is a nice compact lightweight option as well.

Al

I really love my swaros. Just happenes to be one for sale here. No it's not mine. Maybe save 2-300 bucks. I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed in their glass. https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...3-18x50-in-perfect-shape-with-box-etc.206132/

A friend of mine brought his Swarovski z6 5-30X50 and a z8i 2.8-18X56 to do some low light comparing on deer antlers 131 yards away. I brought out my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Both the owner of the z6 and I agreed the 6500 has better glass. I had four z5 5-25X52 and everyone who looked through both agreed the 6500 has better glass.

Now that z8i is a whole 'nother story. That is in a totally different league.

By the way the 6500 beat it in low light also. The z8i beat the 6500 by twenty minutes!

Well, after much deliberation, I ended up changing my mind, yet again, and went with something that wasn't even on my list. All my other NF are NXS models but this time I went with the ATACR. Now I just have to wait for the build to get finished up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.