Zeiss Scope Tracking Issues

The_Whitetail_kid

Hello everyone! I have a Zeiss V4 6-24x50 and am all the sudden having tracking issues with it. I went to the range on Sunday and shot targets and silhouettes at 300 and 400 yards and everything went smoothly, even had a decent group at 300 yards. Then I went back out today, did everything the same, and the gun was hitting 6 inches high. So, we backed it down 8 clicks from what it should've been to account for how high the gun was shooting, and sure enough it hit the bullseye. The gun has not been handled roughly and has been in a case the whole time. I also might add that nothing on the scope had been lose, as we checked it after the fact. The gun is a shooter, as we had a sub-moa group today at 300 once I backed it down, so we know the problem isn't there. Has anyone else had issues with the Zeiss?

Being 2 minutes high at 300 seems more suspicious than scope tracking. Scope tracking issue are usually overtravel or under travel and doesn't show itself until further out. .25 moa would be a lot of overtravel. One of the worst scopes I checked was 1.2 moa high at 1000 yards. I would check velocity, parallax.

I've had some odd elevation changes (1moa at 300yards) between range visits with my rifle that has the same scope as you. I have always attributed it to the rifle and it being in a tupperware stock with no bedding. My rifle goes everywhere in a pelican so that shouldn't be an issue

You have a couple of choices as I see it if your convinced it's a scope problem; send it to Zeiss for evaluation or change it out. If you don't do this, then you will always have doubt. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Being 2 minutes high at 300 seems more suspicious than scope tracking. Scope tracking issue are usually overtravel or under travel and doesn't show itself until further out. .25 moa would be a lot of overtravel. One of the worst scopes I checked was 1.2 moa high at 1000 yards. I would check velocity, parallax.
Scope internal issues (tracking, RTZ, holding zero, shifting zero, etc, etc) can show up in different ways. 2 MOA at 300 could be a scope internal issue, or it could be a mounting issue. The scope in question doesn't have the 'best reputation' as a dialing scope. It seems to do better as a 'zero and leave it' type application.