ZEISS PRF... I bought it

rhouser

After much reading, studying, and worrying my new Zeiss PRF has arrived. I am going to work this thing to death trying to see what it will and won't do. I will be testing and posting on this thread till I finally run out of ideas of what to try next.
First issue is the case. It is not easy to slide the unit into and out of the case. The seams get in the way. If anyone has the leica prf, do you case it eye piece up or down. Neither is very smooth. Little thing, but, I like my holsters to fit the gun they are holding.

First rangings:
High noon ranged instantly on a dog at 638, a water tower at 1445 (yep, beyond the advertised 1300). Microwave towers at 545, 775, 438, and 650. Lots of towers to laze. Ok hits the big stuff. To the resovoir. Ranged several ducks and geese at 175 through 350 on the water. I was on a bank twenty feet above the water. Ranged a beaver lodge at 465. Range a dog at 635.

Problem, skipped off the water at 450 to read the bank at 625 when I tried to hit a swimming duck.

Ok more odd tests. Lazed a white dog at midnight through a steady light rain that was passing at 93 yards by ambiant light (moon + white dog) It didn't seem to be bothered by the light rain but very short range.

I can laze through light brush to a solid lock if I make sure there is no real big piece in the aiming circle. It let me bypass the branches to lock on a squirrel at 165 yards. I checked this by moving the retical to the trunk and to other branches. I got a different range lock each time and they made sense, so this is pretty slick. It seems to ignore the scatter and still lock on the target. I cannot lock on a stainless steel 12"x 14" metal grid at even 50 yards. I believe the same program that ignores the light brush, ignores the 3/4 inch metal grid.

Scatter at close range is not a problem. I was 40 yards from a pair of 6" trees about 2 feet apart. I was able to center the retical at a target 380 yards beyond the pair and laze between them consistanly. When I shifted the aim to the trees, it locked both of them. Not mudh distance, but, it did not get confused between them and allowed me to pass between them.

Anyway, with the exception of the case, so far I am pretty pleased with the PRF. I will go for more fur this weekend. I really just want consistant ranging in the 500 - 1000 regardless of the time of day.

I am going to try working from the prone as well and see what can be done when trying to range 14" targets against ground clutter.

I know this was long, but, I am 60 and this is my first laser.
thanks rc

It will NOT lock on anything too close. Couldn't help it, I had to try.

Last edited:
Anyway, with the exception of the case, so far I am pretty pleased with the PRF. I will go for more fur this weekend. I really just want consistant ranging in the 500 - 1000 regardless of the time of day.

I am going to try working from the prone as well and see what can be done when trying to range 14" targets against ground clutter.

Good write up, looking forward to how that all turns out. Ive been looking at that model for a while.

More on the PRF. I took the PRF down to Quantico Marine base to 1000 meter shoot.

The 8X is really not stong enough to do much spotting on the 1000 meter targets. The optics focused clearly with good detail at 1036 yards that the target boards were sitting from my position. (I was above and behind the firing line). I could spot the "posting circles" but, not the bullet holes.

There was a couple of inches of new snow over everything and it was noon.

The PRF ranged all target boards, all lane posts, all trees, two target shacks, 1 bunker, and one warning sign without fail. I got a range everytime. These were from 445 yards to 1086 yards. The delay was less than two seconds. I was using a tree lean to steady the hold. These are not fur bearing animals, but, the Zeiss ranged 1030 to 1086 over snow flawlessly.

Summary: Over Snow and at midday, the Zeiss PRF ranged to 1086 yards 25 times out of 25 times without fail. It ranged 25 target boards from left to right every time, with the appropriate decrease in distance as I moved the retical from the left (aiming from full "cross range" left to "cross range" right). Snow on the ground does not appear to effect the Zeiss's ability to range. I have to admit that I didn't go prone, but, the snow was wet and I figured to save the "lay down" for a less wet and more productice trial.

Again, I still hate the "Case" and am going to call Zeiss US to ask about it.

My 2 cents. rc

Last edited:
I've had one for several months. Works great to advertised 1300 yrds. I also like the BIS feature. Has famous Zeiss glass, and is usually about $100 less than Swaro.

As I've noted before, if you want more than 1300 yrds, get the Swaro.

rhouser, sounds like ya got a winner there, congrats. keep us posted on the prone and also what Zeiss says about the fit.

"The 8X is really not stong enough to do much spotting on the 1000 meter targets. The optics focused clearly with good detail at 1036 yards that the target boards were sitting from my position. (I was above and behind the firing line). I could spot the "posting circles" but, not the bullet holes."

You can very rarely see holes at 1000 with any magnification!

I hit a tower at 1430. MORE than advertised. Basically though, I am with you about 1300 being enough.

My reach out and touch em gun is a 300 rum on with a ggg hardmouted bipod. I figure that 1100 yards with my 204gr AB's is about where I have to stop.

When I chose the zeiss, I was looking in a price range that TOPPED at the PRF but included the CRF and the Lepould 1000. I don't know what constitutes NOT getting a reading, but, I have no decrease at high noon or bright sun, nor snow, nor dark targets. I do get skips off the water at 650, where it ranged the far bank at 840. I was ranging a swimming mallard duck using a 2 handed sitting position so I didn't feel too bad.

I did range a three foot stump 60 yards away from the duck, so thats where I got the 650. If nothing else presents, I will do cows and other livestock this weekend although saturday is the first day of late BP, so, maybe I will range a deer instead.

I am not advocating one finder over the other. I read as much as I could about each of the Leicas (rf and crf), the Swaros (which were outside my price range) and what I could find about the Zeiss PRF. So far, the zeiss is very dependable, and very managable.

Oh, and I still HATE this carrying pouch that came with it.

Thanks rc

I've had one for several months. Works great to advertised 1300 yrds. I also like the BIS feature. Has famous Zeiss glass, and is usually about $100 less than Swaro.

As I've noted before, if you want more than 1300 yrds, get the Swaro.

WOW! Around here it's $300 difference (Zeiss = $699 vs Swaro = $999).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.