Zeiss or Leupold 4.5-14?

kallen

I don't have a scope over 10X and want to move up to a scope with a little more power and an adjustable objective. I am looking for a solid repeatable turret system. The scope is going on a light rifle for now.

My two considerations are the:
Zeiss 4.5-14x44 A0 (1 inch)
Leupold 4.5-14x40 LR side focus (30 mm)

I want to have a elevation turret installed on whatever I select and probably stay with a the standard duplex reticle. I've considered the Zeiss Rapid-z 800 but I am concerned about low light performance or the reticle getting lost in the timber (thick cover)

My main thoughts are that the Leupold is smaller with more eye relief, more adjustability, and a great warranty. The zeiss is larger (bulky), is going to have better low light performance with the larger objective, I like the feel of the adjustments, but I worry about eyepiece clearance with the bolt. I think cost will be about the same between the two.

Any comments that might help me make the decision of which one?

I have the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Rapid Z800 and I find the reticle is actually a little heavier than a std duplex. It is actually a little to thick for fine target work, but is fine on game even in low light. The scope is very clear and the side focus works well.

Howdy Kallen. Of the two you have listed I would go for the Leupold. If you decide to go that route let me know. I have the exact scope you are considering except I have the Varmint Hunters reticle. I would sell it to you with rings and butler creek covers for a very good deal.

Mike.

Have you looked at the new Leica riflescopes? They show a 3.5-14x with a Ballistic Plex reticle. Might be another possibility... NJS

Of the 2 I'd go with the Leupold 4.5-14...I use one, love it and +1 on your point about warranty.

i like the leupold for the same reasons as you'v stated. i have a vx111 and mk4 in the 4.5-14 range and looking at getting a vx3 but in 8.5-25 for the next project

They are both really nice scopes. I do not have a mark series scope but have several VXIII's and also own a few Zeiss including the 4X14X44. That is a side focus scope and not a AO. I have the Zeiss on my "go to" hunting rifle and it has been a great scope.

You can get the Zeiss target turrets which are low profile and then have a Kenton tuned turret made for your load. A real nice little combo. If you have an existing Ziess they will convert to target turret for you for $50.ea.

Either way you go you will have a nice scope.

I will admit that I don't own a Leo, but I LOVE my zeiss'. My other brands are Bushnell's and Nikon's, but after getting a couple conquests' I started buying nothing but them. I read an article not too long ago (it was in either the NRA's or NAHC magazine) that did a test on different scopes with the turrets. If I remember correctly the Zeiss turrets were the most consistant....I could be wrong so don't hang me if the article said something else. I remember the Zeiss being one of the best ones, and pretty sure it was top 2 but not positive. Definately try to find the article since it explained a lot about the scopes as well. I'm not at home so can't see if I can find the article so if someone else has it then please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Scopes are a lot like rifles, everyone has their own favorite. I like Zeiss and others like the Leo's while others like NF. Best thing to do is go out to a store that has both and look through them and play with them and see which one YOU like the best. Either way I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.