Zeiss Conquest Questions

BitterrootBob

I am real new to rifle shooting and have a question about the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes.

The particular scopes are Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 AO MC & Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO MC. My question is both scopes are offered with Hunting Turrets or Target Turrets. Can someone explain the difference and any preference one way or the other?

You've come to the right place for answers. The folks here are hands on experts so I'll leave it to one of them to give you the answer. I'm a hunter first and shooter second. If you are looking at zeiss for a longer range hunting scope you should take a look too at the rapid z scopes.

Hunting turrets are shorter with caps over them. Target turrets are much longer and easier to read and adjust but are less than ideal for carrying through the brush and don't work well in scabbards. Most hunters use hunter turrets but some of the long-range hunters that hunt "more like bench-rest shooting" use target turrets. Both have vocal advocates and both work, see them both & decide what YOU think will work better for how YOU will hunt.

Thanks for the responses. I'll go see if anyone locally has them in stock so I can see them up close. I see one of the advertisers/sponsors on this site has some pretty good end of the year deals on the Zeiss scopes right now.

I have the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO MC with target turrets as LRH is nothing but "target" shooting, the way I do it. :) Mostly ambush and some walk and stalk. In either case speed is everything getting ready to make the shot. Regardless of the situation there never seems to be enough time.

For me exposed turrets is the only way to go.

Scabbards don't seem to be much if any of an issue. I don't use a scabbard just a self made drag bag. And I have been known to drag it. :)

Choice of reticle is critical. There are those that say the Z-1000 is a bit busy. I have the duplex and click for all shots. Its more simple to click using Shooter software than to shoot to calibrate the bullet drop reticles. Plus Shooter, etc, gives drops in MOA and not yards. When factoring in atmos conditions clicking is more straight forward.

If you choose the duplex reticle ensure you get the fine duplex. I got a hot deal from one of the optic sponsors here and jumped on it a bit too quickly. I didn't consider reticle size. It came with the heavier duplex.

The thin part of the reticle is 1/4 MOA and the posts are 3 MOA or so. A bit heavy for shooting magpies @ 1000 but seem to be sufficient.:)

The zeiss is a great scope with non critical eye placement. It seems way more shooter friendly than my NF. What I mean is that when I put my cheek against the stock the sight picture is faster to acquire than with the Nightforce.

HTH

Thanks royinidaho. The reticles I see available are the #20 which appears to be heavy and #4. From what you mentioned the #4 would be the way to go? The sale I saw was less than $600 for the 4.5X14X50 A0 MC, I believe.

How much does the Shooter software sell for?

Thanks royinidaho. The reticles I see available are the #20 which appears to be heavy and #4. From what you mentioned the #4 would be the way to go? The sale I saw was less than $600 for the 4.5X14X50 A0 MC, I believe.

As an android app mine was like $4.99. Strelok is free and a **** nice app also.

Not sure which # is the more fine reticle. . .

Do a little digging to make sure.

I have a 4.5 - 14 Weaver tactical, the old one, in good glass 14X works just fine for me. Have shot very small targets to 1200 Yards.

Not sure which # is the more fine reticle. . .

Do a little digging to make sure.

I have a 4.5 - 14 Weaver tactical, the old one, in good glass 14X works just fine for me. Have shot very small targets to 1200 Yards.
Yeah I backed down from the 22x NF to a 15x NF FFP with np-r1 instead of my old SFP 5.5x22 NP-r2 and the 15x is fine for 1k plus. I dont need any more mag for deer at any range and yotes are fine to 2k so I will take that in trade for an easier eyebox any day. I think we all would have been better served if the 15x would have been pushed more than the 22x. And if you really NEED more than 15x you might as well jump to a 32x and be done with it. 15x is a LOT BETTER big game size though with good glass. Cheaper glass the added image size might help with less clarity. 15x glass is usually cheaper than 20x+ so instead of a $1000 24x look at a $1000 15x. The glass in the 15x will be clearer dollar for dollar.

Well, I'm going to do something I rarely, if ever, do. I'm going to order the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 A0 MC sight unseen. I have another post in the newbie section and stated I had a $700 budget allowed for a scope. A poster suggested I add a couple of hundred dollars to my scope budget, which was good advise. There were a lot more choices in the $900-$1000 range. And without looking at scopes in that price range, I never would have stumbled on this Zeiss deal.

I have looked at several websites and this scope goes for $850-$900. And the sponsor here, Camera Land, has them for $599, brand new, not demos. I just have to decide on hunting or tactical turrets and #4 or #20 Z-Plex reticle. I think that is a smoking deal. I have always liked Zeiss glass too. In fact, I like their Conquest 10X50 binoculars as well as $2000+ Leica and Swarovski models.

U'll like it!

Mine was a demo model from Cameraland I think and came with the Zeiss sticky thing missing from the parallax knob. A call to Zeiss and the sticky thinger arrived in two days. :)

I had a #4....just couldnt come to grips with it. Sent it back and had it changed to a straight duplex.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.