Zeiss 44mm vs 50mm?

10FCP

Members: BACKGROUND; I am looking at a Zeiss Conquest Scope, in the RapidZ1000 Reticle, and as these are hard to get hands on, would like some input and advice from those of you with more experience than I have [this is my first optic]. Will go on a Savage 10FCP, in .308, for 'tactical' use.
QUESTION: at Cabelas, looking thru scopes [Nikon, Zeiss] I noticed greater ease finding the sight picture with 50mm objectives. I have old eyes, and II wonder if this is going to be the case with all 50mm scopes, as the exit pupil is always larger for any given magnification..or if this is just a result of trying to focus in a store, without the scope mounted to a rifle, no cheek weld, etc etc? Any thoughts will be appreciated, and thanks again. Bill

In my opinion 50mm is a bit bulky not bad and they do look good. However on the other end your scope has to be mounted higher which means you cant lay in to your rifle and plop your face down on the stock as much for the solid shooting platform. I prefer 40mm I do have a Zeiss 44mm and it still mounts low. As far as eye reliefe and ease of finding your sight picture I dont think you will have a bit of trouble with either once they are mounted on your rifle.

That makes sense, Mike, thanks. Finding the reticle and sight picture with a scope in my hand at arms length is a challenge in the store. It was odd that the 50mm seemed much easier to find, but in retrospect I am not sure that both scopes were on the same magnification. ****. It hurts to be dumb sometimes. Bill

Zeiss is great glass. All things being equal 50mm will pass more light than 44mm regardless of what "old" eyes such as mine indicate.

Also lower power will be brighter than higher power.

As this is your first optic it may well out last your attractiveness to the rifle so get what you want.

Tikkmike's points are good ones.

Also your decision may be altered by what your "tactical" distances will be.

Good luck.

Just this week I put a Zeiss 4.5-14X50 Z1000 on my Rem 700 5R. Although I haven't looked through a 44, I'd bet that the few extra $$ for the 50 are well worth it, especially in those last 5 minutes of legal shooting hours.

This Zeiss is absolutely, positively, the best quality, clearest glass I've ever owned. Spent most of yesterday at the range with this new Zeiss and also took another 700 mounted with a Leupold. Absolutely no comparison.

Not to change the subject, But I have perfect vision and I own Leupold, Zeiss and Leica Geovid's, I have a friend who is a Swarovski FANATIC, he swears Swarovski is clearer than the rest, I honestly can not see a difference. I can pick up a 600 dollar vx-111 then look through my 3000 dollars Leicas and not see a difference...I do love my Zeiss though I wouldnt trade it for anything. they are all my children.

Thanks Guys...I neglected to mention in the BACKGROUND part of my question that the two Zeiss scopes I am considering are both 4.5-14..only dif is one is 44mm and one is the 50mm objective. Both with Rapid Z 1000. I guess I will have to raise the 50mm a bit higher [3-4mm] above bore..which at 1000yds is negligable???
Building this rifle is almost as much fun as shooting it. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.