YZ Rings Steel @ 1K!!

YZ-80

Guys, Yesterday I did something I've wanted to try for a very long time. I finally got to put my equipment and reloading skills to the test beyond 400 yards. After months on a waiting list, I was accepted at a range with 1,000 yard steel. I had to qualify with my 3 rifles at 100 yards and provide drop and windage calculations for each one, chrono them in the presence of the RSO and shoot each of them into a minute (5 shots) to gain 1k range certification. Sounds easy but with ARs going off next to me, an unfamiliar range environment and other distractions, it was a tedious affair to say the least and it took me a few groups to settle down. Anyway, I pulled it off and was sent back to the range house to have my targets and paperwork reviewed by the lead RSO, who after some minor scrutiny said signed off on my paperwork. The process took about 2.5 hrs.

Off I went, up the mountain to the 1k range. I had qualified with my 6.5L, 6.5-284, and my 308. The RSO up there greeted me and I looked at him like it was my first day in kindergarten. "Where are the target racks?" I asked. There out there, he said and I squinted down range, barely able to make out the Steel silhouettes, fox and unicorn gongs hanging on the railroad tie frames. Don't you have any closer targets? I asked. "Nope" he replied.

So, prepared to thoroughly embarrass myself, I uncased the little Lapua, set up my shooting bags, and got behind the rifle. The kind RSO offered to spot for me - Who was I to refuse, so I checked my Strelok program, dialed up 29.75 MOA and sent one at the 18"X24" Silhouette. "Where did it go?" I asked. "Give me a minute and a half up" he replied and told me to send another. I did, and saw the 143 ELD-X splash in the dirt to the right of the silhouette. We did have a little wind, so he says, give me 3/4 minute left windage and send another one - I did. "IMPACT!!" he announced. I was in Utter disbelief! A second after he said that, I heard the "Ding" which was probably one of the most satisfying sounds I've ever heard in my life. I had 22 rounds left and I gave that silhouette the business for the next 1/2 hour, connecting 17 times. I even hit the fox and unicorn One time each.

This was a fantastic experience and really put things into perspective for me. How things that seem so minor at 300 can become so major at distance, A real appreciation for the help I've had from LRH with my reloading skills and how much I have to learn (and To buy!!). But I do feel like I might be doing something right!

I also shot the .308 and the 6.5-284 at the 1k range and almost connected with the later but only had 3 rounds left after the qualification process, so I'll save that one for another day. The .308 got a little wonky out there with the 20" barrel, so I think I'll qualify the 24" barrel .308 next trip. I'm busy at the bench getting ready, that's for sure!!
E1CD0517-7404-4F90-BD07-435D67F100C1.jpeg

Guys, Yesterday I did something I've wanted to try for a very long time. I finally got to put my equipment and reloading skills to the test beyond 400 yards. After months on a waiting list, I was accepted at a range with 1,000 yard steel. I had to qualify with my 3 rifles at 100 yards and provide drop and windage calculations for each one, chrono them in the presence of the RSO and shoot each of them into a minute (5 shots) to gain 1k range certification. Sounds easy but with ARs going off next to me, an unfamiliar range environment and other distractions, it was a tedious affair to say the least and it took me a few groups to settle down. Anyway, I pulled it off and was sent back to the range house to have my targets and paperwork reviewed by the lead RSO, who after some minor scrutiny said signed off on my paperwork. The process took about 2.5 hrs.

Off I went, up the mountain to the 1k range. I had qualified with my 6.5L, 6.5-284, and my 308. The RSO up there greeted me and I looked at him like it was my first day in kindergarten. "Where are the target racks?" I asked. There out there, he said and I squinted down range, barely able to make out the Steel silhouettes, fox and unicorn gongs hanging on the railroad tie frames. Don't you have any closer targets? I asked. "Nope" he replied.

So, prepared to thoroughly embarrass myself, I uncased the little Lapua, set up my shooting bags, and got behind the rifle. The kind RSO offered to spot for me - Who was I to refuse, so I checked my Strelok program, dialed up 29.75 MOA and sent one at the 18"X24" Silhouette. "Where did it go?" I asked. "Give me a minute and a half up" he replied and told me to send another. I did, and saw the 143 ELD-X splash in the dirt to the right of the silhouette. We did have a little wind, so he says, give me 3/4 minute left windage and send another one - I did. "IMPACT!!" he announced. I was in Utter disbelief! A second after he said that, I heard the "Ding" which was probably one of the most satisfying sounds I've ever heard in my life. I had 22 rounds left and I gave that silhouette the business for the next 1/2 hour, connecting 17 times. I even hit the fox and unicorn One time each.

This was a fantastic experience and really put things into perspective for me. How things that seem so minor at 300 can become so major at distance, A real appreciation for the help I've had from LRH with my reloading skills and how much I have to learn (and To buy!!). But I do feel like I might be doing something right!

I also shot the .308 and the 6.5-284 at the 1k range and almost connected with the later but only had 3 rounds left after the qualification process, so I'll save that one for another day. The .308 got a little wonky out there with the 20" barrel, so I think I'll qualify the 24" barrel .308 next trip. I'm busy at the bench getting ready, that's for sure!!View attachment 196023
After seeing you quite often on this site I never realized the distance you were limited to as far as going to a range I guess I'm very lucky having the range that I do and I remember the feeling of hitting my first steel target at 1000 that ding is something else isn't it glad to read about your experiences I knew you could do it

Congrats!! That's sure a lot of fun. I have to drive a long way to be able to shoot 1000 yards but I'm gettin' the urge to go do it.
I live dead smack in the middle between two great ranges Strategic Edge where I am a member also K&M shooting center where I am not a member either range is two hours drive in opposite directions for me

After seeing you quite often on this site I never realized the distance you were limited to as far as going to a range I guess I'm very lucky having the range that I do and I remember the feeling of hitting my first steel target at 1000 that ding is something else isn't it glad to read about your experiences I knew you could do it
Thanks, Bill. A little more detail on the conditions and what I was shooting is in order. I could not have asked for better weather, 70 degrees light winds (5 to 7 mph and intermittent) with overcast skies. The little Lapua load was a 143 ELD-X that was running at 2,745 (SD 6; ES 17) out of a 26 pipe. I qualified with that one easily. The 6.5-284 was running at 2975 with the 130 Accubond (SD 9; ES 25) but I blew through 23 rounds getting the rifle qualified and by the time I got to the 1k range with it I only had 3 rounds left! I splashed the dirt at the racks a few times with it but could not quite get it on the the steel. I fully expect it will perform well next time. The last rifle I had was my Daniel Defense Delta 5 in .308, which qualified well but I think I was hampered by the 20" barrel. It's .5 MOA at 300 but got pretty erratic out a 1k. I'm swapping that barrel out with a 24" 6.5 CRDM tube this week and I think I'll use it in that configuration going forward.

At any rate, this experience gave me a real appreciation for what it would take to shoot an animal out that far. One simply has to have their poop together to do it. I will say that after a couple more sessions, I'll get more comfortable adjusting my personal hunting limit up from 400 to maybe 600-650 yards, if I can find a place to hunt that far. At times, the range allows shooting at some of these intermediate distances, so I'll be taking advantage of that. In the meantime, it's back to the reloading bench and time to do some spotting scope shopping.

One final note - I was using Vortex HSTs and a Sig Sauer Tango 4 on my rigs. These scopes are by no means top shelf but I thought they were more than sufficient for the task and seemed to adjust on point with the calls.

Very Nice YZ! May I ask what power HST your running?
My wife signed me up for a long range class here in Idaho and I am running the HST 4-16 and kinda feel a little handicapped since I was told there is the possibility of shoot over 2000!

GF

Very Nice YZ! May I ask what power HST your running?
My wife signed me up for a long range class here in Idaho and I am running the HST 4-16 and kinda feel a little handicapped since I was told there is the possibility of shoot over 2000!

GF
Yup. I had a 4 X 16 Vortex HST on my 6.5-284 and a Sig Sauer Tango 4 4x16 on my .308 and I could see the 18"x24" silhouette no problem at 1k. I don't know about 2k, however!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.