Youth Pellet Rifle Suggestion

Elkaholic Hunter

Previously Ian Wargo
I'm looking to get my daughters a pellet rifle to start shooting and learn the basics. They are 4 & 6. They have a savage rascal .22 lr but we don't get to shoot that much since we live in a subdivision. Looking to get a pellet rifle that would fit a young kid well, possibly an adjustable stock and accurate with good open sights. Upper price range $200-$300 maybe a touch more. Just something they can enjoyably shoot that fits them and is accurate. They won't be shooting by themselves so if it's hard to cock that's fine. Let me know anyone has had success with one to get their kids dialed in with the fundamentals. So many pellet rifle options out there be nice to narrow down some options.
Thanks

I do not have any suggestions but I would like to follow this thread to find a good option also!

I would look at a CO2 option, the barrel break and pump ones can be fun, however a good CO2 rifle will be easy to shoot, and the right ones can be very accurate. Personally I like PCP options, and while the rifles themselves can be purchased in your price range, when you start adding high pressure pumps or especially carbon tanks, they go up significantly.

My buddy bought his kid a break open pellet rifle a couple years back. It is as loud as my .22lr shooting subsonic. I bought one of the pellet rifles with the integral sound moderators 😁 and it is noticeably quieter than either. That's what I'd recommend for someone that lived in a subdivision where noise could be an issue.
Or…for a little more than you want to spend:
A couple of my guys have suppressed .22s and run subsonic and that just makes you giggle hitting plates out to some distance, and ridiculously quite. More so than my pellet rifle.
But you would probably enjoy that more than the kids!

This probably doesn't even count anymore. Back when I was about 7 or 8 my parents got me a Sheridan. 20 caliber. And you pumped it up. That was over 60 years ago. I still have it and still shoot it. Good balance, decent trigger, good open sight set up, shots darned good and hits with authority. Of course the more pumps the harder it hits. Don't know if anyone remembers the old 10 gallon milk cans, but with 10 pumps it would penetrate one of those. Good luck with your search.

Growing up I had a B.S. pellet gun that was as heavy as the grown up deer rifles. It was awesome but I enjoyed the cheap pump plastic one more and therefore shot it more since it was light and I could manage it easily. Fast forward, I got my son a daisy pump a few years back that keeps bbs inside or allows you to load pellets from the top. He could careless if it was co2, top of the line, 35$ academy special or a classic wood stock like that BS I had. He shoots it and has gained understanding of weapons handling and safety. It's served it's main purpose.

My suggestion would be to get an Air Venturi Avenger and a hand pump. Will hit you for about $400, but PCP is very much worth it in my opinion. My now 9yr old niece has been using hers for years. She loves it.

My suggestion would be to get an Air Venturi Avenger and a hand pump. Will hit you for about $400, but PCP is very much worth it in my opinion. My now 9yr old niece has been using hers for years. She loves it.
The air venturi avenger has only been available for a little over a year and a half. It does have a regulator that can be adjusted low, but it is not a great option with a hand pump as it has a very high fill pressure of 300 bar or 4,350 psi. They are a pretty good gun, I got one for my sister, and I agree pcp's are the way to go for the most performance and accuracy, but something with a lower fill pressure like a Beeman QB chief with a 2,000 psi fill pressure would be better if one plans on using a hand pump and not investing in a carbon tank.

The air venturi avenger has only been available for a little over a year and a half. It does have a regulator that can be adjusted low, but it is not a great option with a hand pump as it has a very high fill pressure of 300 bar or 4,350 psi. They are a pretty good gun, I got one for my sister, and I agree pcp's are the way to go for the most performance and accuracy, but something with a lower fill pressure like a Beeman QB chief with a 2,000 psi fill pressure would be better if one plans on using a hand pump and not investing in a carbon tank.
I get what you are saying, but in my opinion people make way too much of a deal about hand pumps. I've pumped for years (also have a compressor) and its really not that big of a deal. No reason to fill to the absolute max. The hand pump is great exercise and makes you not waste your shot. :)

The Beeman is a good gun and a good recommendation.

I get what you are saying, but in my opinion people make way too much of a deal about hand pumps. I've pumped for years (also have a compressor) and its really not that big of a deal. No reason to fill to the absolute max. The hand pump is great exercise and makes you not waste your shot. :)

The Beeman is a good gun and a good recommendation.
Ya, I used a pump for about 5 years before getting the biggest carbon fiber tank I could, I have had that tank about two years now. In that time, I have shot a ridiculous amount of pellets compared to when I had the pump ha ha. I am more just considering for the kids, if a kid wants to do it, that can be a lot of work! I started with a break barrel, then a pump, then a co2, then eventually got into pcp as an adult. Up until my pcp, I shot more critters with that co2 rifle than about anything else, it was easy and I could do it by myself, grab a can of pellets, a pocket full of co2 cartridges and walk the fields ha ha

All kids need a Red Ryder to start just like they should start with Hoppes #9. I have most of the basic stuff from the small Daisy plastic stock, Red Ryder, Pump Up, Break Action, etc., and a PCP. Several different brands.....tough one for sure. I have my grandfathers tiny plastic daisy from the late 70's in the dining room corner for encouraging neighbor dogs to leave faster. Perfect for that....my PCP would kill them even with a chest shot. In your situation it would be a Red Ryder style for sure. Then skip the pump up and go to a break action in 22 cal. Generally the 22 is more accurate than the .177 without crazy cost increase for pellets. Accuracy issues mainly due to velocity, and in your price range should be some decent ones. SKIP THE 1200-1500FPS advertised junk and you want a heavier pellet around 8-900 fps. Also, make sure you shoot it and get to listen to how loud it is. My PCP (mid level Benjamin Marauder) in 22 will shoot 5 shot groups well under .5" at 50 yards all day long with $10/500 14.3 gr Crosman Pellets I can get off Amazon or Wal Mart. Blow up as in feathers floating like a shotgun kills Doves at 75yards and is quieter than the Red Ryder. Bolt action magazine/single shot fed. Furthest kill is a Crow at 110yds stone dead one shot chest shot, and rabbits/squirrels body shots to 75yards but not the best. I usually just head shoot them and take the miss.....it doesn't miss at 50 and in. I practice on sparrows and the impact is louder than the muzzle noise.