Youth Hunting - Part 1 - The Smiles & the Memories

Apparently, eating the heart paid off. Because just before thanksgiving the following year, he bagged his first "rack buck". 101 yards with the little Hawkeye, He only made about 15 steps before he expired, I was videoing my son as he walked up to him. I still watch the video several times a week. These memories are priceless. I hope each and every one of you folks get to experience this kind of joy in your lives. Our children truly are gifts from God. Cherish every moment with them.

Attachments

• 3CE36B0B-AA91-4837-BCE9-712DE894D308.jpeg
    3CE36B0B-AA91-4837-BCE9-712DE894D308.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
CIMG1041.JPG

While this picture was taken over a decade ago, seeing this gets me even more excited for our up-coming deer season.

I have an opportunity to get all three of them back out this year, as we drew 4 deer tags in our favorite area. Looking very much forward to spending time doing what we love with these great young men.

As we get deeper into this year's hunting season, make sure you all continue to post pics of your (or any) kids out having a wonderful time in the outdoors. I know that there will be some incredible stories, memories and photos coming in within the next few months, so keep us posted!

I haven't had much time to keep updated here but this morning my niece was able to fill her tag with this dandy after we had watched him on posted land earlier in the week but this morning he messed up n stopped on public land n she hit him from a touch over 450 yards…real rough unofficial gross score of 160 aged around 6 yrs old n she hit him with her brothers 6.5 creedmoor while he was coaching her, totally awesome

Attachments

• 39FE523C-ACFB-4689-89BF-F9FAAA6555DA.jpeg
    39FE523C-ACFB-4689-89BF-F9FAAA6555DA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
So the little one on the right was the responsible killer today she was just afraid to touch it afterwards . The dogs did a great job this morning. No dogs were injured, and all hunters left with no accidents. This was her second bear . I love hunting myself , the rush , the hype but this bear hunting with hounds and watching these kids is the best thing since crack 😂

Attachments

• 8B36BD5C-C409-473F-990C-FDEEE34BFDA4.jpeg
    8B36BD5C-C409-473F-990C-FDEEE34BFDA4.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 22
Also this past weekend was our youth doe season . So I can't post the pic because of legal reasons but I took a young man 13 yrs old hunting for the first time . I told him before we left the house that it was doe only and I'd bet money we'd see a nice buck . Well 30 mins in and we had a 8 point at 45 yards feeding around in front of us . Lol . Over the next 2 hrs we had 4 bucks in front of us and the one was an 11 point with a freaking drop tine . He should have been around a 135 inch buck . Pretty nice for a Wv buck.
Finally after four separate bucks decided to parade around in front of us a good sized doe decides to come out. He was shaking so bad he couldn't hold still . Now remember he's a bad @$$ teenager he looks at me and says I'm freezing that's why I'm shaking . So after another 1/2 hr I got him pretty calm and settled down the doe finally cleared away from the 4 bucks and he made an awesome shot. Granted it was only 30 yards but still I was beginning to think the way he was shaking he'd miss completely.
Afterwards I explained to him that the shaking was adrenaline and it's the body's way of dealing with it . He still wouldn't have no part of the he was excited.
This kids been thru the wringer. Me and my wife over a year ago became foster parents and he's our third child to come into our home . I've spent a lot of time teaching him firearm safety this past summer while taking him shooting . With the granted permission from the state .He does very well thus far . As I said he acts all tough and bad cause he don't want us to see that he's got emotions but I believe that I may get him to see it's ok by hunting. Sorry for such a long post

Ok so the young man who killed this for whatever reason didn't want to get his pic done . But it's a 150lb male we treed and killed today . Ran it roughly a mile . Good shot put on it then wouldn't ya know it as it's falling out of the tree it gets hung up in the forks . Spent the next hour climbing up in the tree to get it out . Lol .
Dogs all done great this past 3 days . Season went out this evening at dark but comes back in in December.
These young dogs are starting to make more chases and have learned that most of the time ol mr bear goes up a tree and that's where he'll stay if they stay and keep him there. Hopefully will get to add a few more pics in December

Attachments

• A73BFD26-BEDB-46F2-A8A5-2FC152713D8F.jpeg
    A73BFD26-BEDB-46F2-A8A5-2FC152713D8F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
J on elk stalk.jpg

I am now more convinced than ever that animals can smell the hunting tag in your pocket. I took this photo last Friday on a deer hunt with my oldest boy. If you look (or zoom in) at the area just above the stump in the middle of the photo, you will see two of the many elk we came across on our deer hunt. Our lack of an elk tag seemed to guarantee that we would run into more elk than deer! 😆

This did provide a great opportunity to have my boy stalk them in an effort to get as close as possible without spooking them. On this particular stalk we got almost to that stump before they winded us. That put us just over 100 yards from this small group which included a spike bull and 3 cows.

Later that afternoon, while we were set up on a mountain side overlooking a gorgeous valley with a small water hole, a large 5x5 bull elk sauntered down the opposite hillside, walking almost directly at us. We watched the big bull for close to a half an hour before he busted us. Again, at right around 100 yards. I think he actually stuck his tongue out at us as he slowly moved into the trees. Is it possible for a bull elk to somehow give you the finger? He sure seemed to.

Still a wonderful experience in the hills with my boy.

I ended up taking a good sized doe, which if I have the energy, I'll post in a separate thread detailing my unexpectedly difficult deer hunt as I fell into the full throws of Covid while on the side of a mountain.