Youth Hunting - Part 1 - The Smiles & the Memories

Let's see some late season & early spring activity!

Even if you are not hunting with the kids now, let's see some outdoor adventures. I know that you guys are out there doing something cool...
FC9958E9-07C9-4FF4-A234-17A38497F142.jpeg

Just weighing in for part of our 2022 season.

My middle son (in photo immediately above from my last post at 550 yard range) and I went up for a week-long doe hunt in the Colorado Rockies this past week.

He's 18 now, and quite an accomplished hunter in his own right, so we sat back to back watching a pretty productive hillside. On day 3 we had the blessing to see multiple groups of deer, totaling 20 animals throughout the day, which gave us an opportunity to formulate a plan for day 4. On the morning of day 4, right about sunrise we had an animal pop out into my AOR and I signaled my son. I took my shot at 7:10 am and dropped my doe where she stood. Our plan now was to hike up the hillside to recover my animal and about halfway to where she lay, a second deer popped over the ridge and was standing a short distance from where mine was down.

My son made his perfectly placed shot while leaning against a tree at 7:29 am, and with that single shot he put his deer down roughly 12 to 15 yards from mine!

So, we ended up with two deer on the ground within 19 minutes and 15 yards from each other!

It was a wonderful trip with a wonderful young man!

Will at range.jpeg

My son at the range, getting first round hits all the way out to 500 yards (photo from earlier this year)

Will mountainside.jpg

On the hillside that produced such wonderful results.

Will pointing.jpg

My son pointing at both deer on the ground, roughly 12-15 yards apart.

Will distance.jpg

Another photo showing the final proximity of the two does.

Will cartridge.jpg

One very well placed shot from his 7 Rem Mag.

Cleaning 2.jpg

Cleaning them side by side.

Will at truck.jpg

With both deer back at the truck.

I am blessed beyond measure!

- badthirtyone

Last edited:
This is a continuation of the post above, and proof that animals of any species can smell the tag in your pocket.

We had doe tags, so naturally we saw a good number of pretty good bucks during the week. Many of them - knowing that we only had antlerless tags - decided to taunt us by getting right up on us. During a mid-day hunt one of these bucks came within 18 yards of us.

These photos were taken over a couple of different days with my phone and by a very cold hunter, so forgive me for the grainy quality. 😜

Close range buck.jpg

fighting bucks 1.png

fighting bucks 3.png

We hope and pray that you guys are having a safe and productive season as well!

Post up pic's of your kids in the outdoors. We love to see them.