Youth - 260 Rem or 25.06??

Country Bumpkin

As the title suggests, which would you choose for a youth cartridge? I've found a savage in either option.

He's almost 9 and can technically hunt big game in two years when he's 10. He's made a very mature decision in asking for his first "big game" rifle for his birthday this year, in lieu of toys (I want to reward that). He wants time to practice.

My long term plan is for this to be converted into something with more oomph as he grows. I like the modularity of Savage. Big plans for an upgraded CF stock, premium barrel and quality scope.

With these two choices, assuming he will primarily be hunting mulies... what is your pick?originally I was going to get him a .243 but can't seem to find one.

Eventually he will get to hunt elk with me but I'm hesitant to say that I'd let him use either of these on an elk (but possibly under ideal circumstances).

Are you handloading? If so, I'd lean towards the 260...wider range of bullet weights. Both are fine cartridges, and a 25/06 is hard to beat for deer/antelope size game. I know - that wasn't much help!

Another 260 vote. Less recoil and powder ($$ and heat), cheaper bullets = more practice. Shouldn't have any problem taking all kinds of game at reasonable ranges with it. Longer barrel life too.

Last edited:
Honestly, if he's nine get the kid a 243. When he is 15 or 16 then get him a 260. The recoil difference between the two rounds is significant, and that is one of the top things that turns kids off to the sport, parents saddling them with too much gun.

Either way he is your kid. It's great he has an interest in hunting.