You're favorite "woods gun"? mine proved true today

Good ol Winchester 94 30-30. I use hornady 160gr. lever revolution ammo now, and it works out perfect shootin with open sights. Dad wouldnt let me put a scope on anything i owned till i killed a deer with iron sights. I finaly did many years ago and promptly proceded to scope every rifle i got since then... all but 1 anyway. And thats how its gonna stay.

My woods gun is a Browning BAR MOBU ShortTrack chambered in 308 Win. Swarvoski 3x10x42 scope.

I shoot Winchester Super X 180 gr. power points in it. These deer in Alabama hate to meet up with me. :D

Last edited:
Model 700 in 350 Rem mag. open sights for now until i decide what scope I want and have the money for it. Recently depleted my stock of vintage 200 grn corelokt ammunition so I'm gearing up to reload. It hasn't taken any game yet as I wasn't impressed with the accuracy of the factory fodder and just recently accuired the equipment to load my own. When those spring bear get out and about I should be ready if I draw a tag.

It is a tough call, my Mod. 94, 30-30 is hard to beat in the woods, but the more I use my Sav. Mod. 111, .270 with a Nikon Monarch 3X9X40 BDC, I shoot 130 gr. Federal nosler ballistic tips. I'd say this is my new favorite woods gun at this time.

Rifle_003_Small_.jpg

That's a hard one. Me, I have two, first one a (1943) Win 1894 in .30.30 The second is also a Win 1894 (1970's) in .44 Mag. Both rifles have taken some very nice deer over the years.
1903 M96 K31 with Deer rifles
Photos #13 and #14

My Favorite Rifle is a 336SC MARLIN in .35 I got this rifle back in 1970 from my late Uncle
he shot two Moose, 6 Caribou and a hellova lot of Bears when he lived in Canada.
He never rememberd how many Deer but there was a many he said. When I first used this Rifle the Deer never ran like they did with the .3030 Winchester. They had this brake action going on,
they stoped and layed down. I think its called Lead poisoning. I have a Springfield in .3006 I love but the .35 works so darned good.

Hunting in the thick brush of Eastern OK and Western AR is by no means long range hunting. My first was a Marlin 336 in 30-30 purchased after a summer of dish washing in a cafe between my eigth grade and freshman year in high school. The first deer fell to it that fall while I was on crutches following a football injury. My second "brush and everything else gun" was a Rem. 700 BDL in 7mmMag that I used 140 gr. Sierra's for light quadrupeds and 175gr. Nosler partitions for the heavy quadrupeds. Then I found the lastest and sweetest "brush gun". It was in the pawn shop and it smiled at me as I walked toward it. It was a Remington 700 BDL 375 H&H Magnum (from the Rem Custom Shop) with one of those sweet little Leupold dangerous game scopes on it. I adopted it since it was love at first sight. The best part was at deer camp this last year when someone said, "I know you shot so what did you get?" I replied, "How do you know it was me that shot?" The response was, "Because you shook the leaves off the trees!" Yeah, that's my new brush gun!

436, you should be proud, that's one great looking collection of rifles that you have there...very very nice.

If I am hunting in NC I would go with my 308 Varminter shooting 165gr SST behind RL15. This is also the same gun I took my 2 caribou 2 years ago in Canada (although shooting factory 168gr winchester silver tips).

I just got an H&R ultra slug this past year because where I go in VA is shotgun only, haven't shot anything yet but I do love this gun now that I found the right slugs that are super accurate (under 1/2" @ 100 yards :D)in it!

I am having a custom 7mmWSM done so that may replace the 308 next year, but for right now I love that gun!

Greywolf18, If you don't mind me asking, who's doing the 7mm build and what components are you using?

I found a really cheap model 70 in 7WSM on here that became the donor action. Adding a HS stock with built in cheek peice, 26" brux barrel that will straight tAper to .875" for a seemless fit with the CSR brake. Accurize the action, bed the stock, EGW 20 MOA base, TPS rings, timney trigger set to 2.5 lbs, and then do a dark earth brown action/barrel with dark earth brown/od green/black digi pattern stock (mimmicks the Marine cami pattern :D) cerakote for both. I think I am going to with the zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 w/ turrets and Z1000 reticle. Now just waiting til sept to get it back from Jim at Center Shot Rifles is the hard part!

Greywolf18, nice list of components. I think the color/pattern will look great. I've heard Jim builds some fine rifles. Good luck on the build. Maybe some pics when you get it? Enjoy.

This is my first ever custom rifle, so don't worry by the end you'll be begging me to stop posting pics lol. Hardest part is waiting now!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts