Your thoughts on Higher powered scopes?

I have been in this arguement before, people can say what they want, yes you can shoot things and spot hits or misses with a 10x or 16x, can you do it better with an 8-32, 10-50, or 8-80, yes my 2 personal favorites are the 12-42x56 nightforce and the 10-50x60 sightron, and with quality glass on its low setting it is not a issue in low light, you can spot yotes at 300 yards with the nightforce and some moon light. I also have a 4-16 nikon monarch with the bdc and on 16x it willl cover a .5" bullseyes. Stop giving him a bunch of crap and tell him what you think of the higher poowered scopes, not what you can do with less magnification. Oh and for the record most ibs matches I attend the rifles wear 12-42 nightforce or 36x fixed leupolds, and some are starting to use the 10-50x60 SIII's. Look up march scopes and check out their 1k view through an 8-80, you can spot 26 cal and larger bullet holes.

I have been in this arguement before, people can say what they want, yes you can shoot things and spot hits or misses with a 10x or 16x, can you do it better with an 8-32, 10-50, or 8-80, yes my 2 personal favorites are the 12-42x56 nightforce and the 10-50x60 sightron, and with quality glass on its low setting it is not a issue in low light, you can spot yotes at 300 yards with the nightforce and some moon light. I also have a 4-16 nikon monarch with the bdc and on 16x it willl cover a .5" bullseyes. Stop giving him a bunch of crap and tell him what you think of the higher poowered scopes, not what you can do with less magnification. Oh and for the record most ibs matches I attend the rifles wear 12-42 nightforce or 36x fixed leupolds, and some are starting to use the 10-50x60 SIII's. Look up march scopes and check out their 1k view through an 8-80, you can spot 26 cal and larger bullet holes.
Emphasis mine.

He asked the question. Some of us find it unnecessary to go to such extremes of magnification to shoot critters.

We're not shooting sparrows or chicadees at a thousand yards. Even a Prairie dog at 600 yds isn't obscured by most reticles unless you have a heavy duplex with a 10x scope, much less the 12-16x ranges.

It's not your place to tell anyone what to do or what to discuss here.

The man asked a question and we responded, and last I checked that's the purpose of a discussion forum.

Like I said HE does not give a **** what you all can do with less magnification, so I guess your input would be considered useless to HIM!

Like I said HE does not give a **** what you all can do with less magnification, so I guess your input would be considered useless to HIM!
Your opinion of my opinion is duly noted and will be given all due deference... .

primitive+out+house.jpg

Last edited:
Around here, running the mag beyond approximately 20X isn't going to do you any good when heat mirage is clearly evident. You're just making the distortion bigger with no gain in detail. You could run a higher mag in the winter or on an overcast day and get some gains. So the power of a scope is a changing issue for max resolution. Get the highest power under the best conditions, then back off the mag as conditions deteriorate, would be one way of doing it, since most people use variable power scopes.

I am more concerned about the low power of my scope, and that is never over 4X on anything that will ever be used for general hunting. That typically sets the max power of my scope at around 16X..

A friend of mine that is a competitive bench rest shooter, uses 42x NF W/6MM dasher. He has a older 300wsm that he used also, he has taken speed goats at 1000 + and a deer at 1600. He has no problem at all as he has shot the rifles 1000's of rnds. That is with a 2 0z trigger also, it is what he is use to.

I use a 5.5x22 NF and most of the shot i take r on 10-12 x out to a 1000. i shot a javilena at a 1000 on 10X and a yote at 540 on 6 or 7X. I would like to have a higher XXX scope but with the heat down here it just doesn't work to good. the heat mirage start showing up to bad for me. i was thinking about an 8x32x56 NF for my next scope just to play around who knows it may not be to bad at times at least you would have the power if you could use it.

The Nightforce and Leupold Long Range Targets are.. both great scopes.One other thing to consider is Leupold 8.5-25 Mark 4 with tmr reticule. The middle is open and works great for 1000 yard benchrest. It floats around the white patch (which is 4 inches) at 1000 yards. I have shot groundhogs at 1550 yards with Leupold. One thing to consider is how many minutes of elevation the scope has in, so you can shoot way out there. That is why i like the Leupolds mentioned and the Nightforce 5.5x22 Nxs. I also have a Sightron 8x32 but have only used for 1000 yard benchrest. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.