Your thoughts on Bergara HMR?

OG-danimal

Looking for your thoughts on the Bergara B14 HMR in 300wm specifically. Hoping to use for a 600 yard elk hunting rifle.
Cheers

There's a few lengthy posts regarding Bergara rifles, their quality and their customer service. Most seem very happy, and a few aren't so much. One of the threads that really stuck with me was an unhappy customer and one of the senior executives for Bergara came on the thread to try to rectify the situation. In my time on this forum, I hadn't seen that very often. I was really impressed by that interaction.

That said, there's a lot of good hunting rifles in that price range. I've got Christensen Arms, a Savage Ultralight, Rugers and older Remingtons. All shoot great, and all are very dependable. But if I was looking today in the $800-1500 range, I think I'd start with Tikka.

Have worked on a lot of them and would not own one after seeing how they are put together. Bedding is often an issue, crown and feeding issues next. All three are an easy fix but at least in Canada, Bergara service is really poor. They don't fix the guns and won't pay for a local smith to do the work either. Once the bedding and crown issues were fixed they all shot real well, as did the ones that had no issues. Seems to be about 20% of the guns need attention.

The bigger problem is they also are know for rusted or bad barrels, not all that often, but the problem is you get no help. Re-barrel cost is on you. Definitely worth reading the previous threads on here.

Long and short, for the kind of money they want, there are lots of better options.

Last edited:
I've had a B14 Ridge 300 PRC and now a HMR Pro in 6.5 PRC. Had two issues - basically one though. Broke an ejector which Bergara quickly remedied and then fixed w/ AW2 reamer. Probably 160-180 rounds thru it and it shoots better than any factory rifle I've had other than a Sako 6ppc.

Like the movie line "Opinions vary"

I have one in 6.5cm it shoots great, very well made. Its on heavy side, so consider that. But being heavy also helps it shoot so great. For stand hunting great, for hiking mountains I would look at something lighter.

In my opinion the Bergara is the best made off te shelf rifle available today
In a world where there is Sako, Weatherby MKV, Blaser, Sauer, FN Herschtal, Mauser, Anschutz, Anotonio Zoli and even Tikka, as well as more I have missed, I would say you badly need to try some of the other off the shelf rifles.

Last edited: