Your sidearm choice

megastink

yesterday, I got my concealed carry permit here in PA. Now, I'm looking for some training and a pair of carry pistols. I think I want two: a compact for conceal carry to protect my family, and a full frame open carry bear stopper for when I'm bowhunting. I figured I'd see what the community prefers. I do not plan on hunting with either, they're just for protection again people and black bears respectfully.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

yesterday, I got my concealed carry permit here in PA. Now, I'm looking for some training and a pair of carry pistols. I think I want two: a compact for conceal carry to protect my family, and a full frame open carry bear stopper for when I'm bowhunting. I figured I'd see what the community prefers. I do not plan on hunting with either, they're just for protection again people and black bears respectfully.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
All I can say is try to get something with the same grip angle. For example when I carried Glocks I shot nothing but Glocks because of their extreme grip angle. Now I mostly carry a S&W 686. But for pocket carry I'm looking at a Sig p365X.

Full frame wouldn't really be for "concealed" carry. I mean, you can…I've carried iwb a government 1911 for years…and it sucked. I'm not sure of the state laws in PA, but if possible, I would just open carry while in the sticks if possible with a full frame.

As to which conceal carry gun…it's always a preference to some degree.

I wouldn't listen to people who say it should "fit your hand." Most concealed carry guns don't fit anything if you have man sized paws, and frankly a skilled shooter doesn't need it to "fit" anything to be able to accurately operate and drive the weapon.

In terms of caliber…I would just go with what you feel comfortable shooting in common calibers above .380. There is a mountain of evidence from medical and shooting death studies in the US that handgun calibers really do suck as far as performance. There is little to any difference in killing power between 9mm, .45 acp, and .40 s&w.

That said, there is a lot of data for .380 as it is a common used caliber, it's safe to say regardless, using a handgun is strictly as effective as the shooters shot placement. In comparison between 9mm and .380, 9mm is about as or even more common, holds about as much ammo even in sub compacts, and has almost significantly better ballistics in general.

Last edited:
All day every day is a Sig365XL with a dot, I use a Holosun and I think the model is 507? Small enough to conceal well but big enough to be able to shoot easily and 13 rounds using the short magazine. Handling and shooting mine has sold several. The trigger is pretty good out of the box for a striker fired pistol and the factory night sights are quite good for a carry gun if you don't mount the red dot. The 365X was just a bit too small for me.

Full size bear gun for me would be a 6" 2011 in 10mm, 22 rounds in the gun with a +2 basepad. Mine is actually a 40 throated for 10mm length, 10mm performance is easy. Brass is cheap and 40 ammo used to be too.....

my 2 cents, having had a gun shop and did formal training, my advice is this, figure out what caliber or calibers you want, and start looking and HOLDING guns you think are potentials, a gun that FITS YOUR hand will be a better buy, than buying any name brand or model that OTHERS tell you to buy!

as guns that fit YOU , you will shoot better period! and like more and be more proficient with it over all!
stuck with name brand guns, and you will be fine, donl;t get caught up in "X" brand ,model, buy what fits you best!

as for bears in PA< the odds of having a conflict with one is extremely rare, as FACT only 1 person in PA's entire history was ever killed by one, just ONE, and that wasn't that long ago, when a traveler threw trash in a dumpster that a mother bear was in, they seen bear climbed a tree that its CUB was in, and well, things went down hill from there for the poor person!

pepper spay might be a better option and less likely to have possible conflicts with a game warden
as YES CC carry is legal now in archery season, but it better be concealed , and that tends to mean HARD to get to, as to having pepper spray out in the open, easier to access! if you follow

and also keep in mind, that when considering BAR caliber hand guns, its NOT Just the caliber to consider, what BULLET you use matters
what works well for HUMANS< doesn;t always work so well on bears!
bears you want solids with deep penetration
for people, you want fast opening and energy transfer
two totally different games being played if you want prime success odds any how!

Definitely people with more experience with pistols than me. The one thing I remember most from an instructor in a self defense class was, the worst pistol you can buy is one that you don't want to carry. Had a Glock 23 40 cal. and it was like toting a concrete block. Got the 43 and I never mind carrying it.

Not saying Glock is the answer, it's just what I carry. What ever you get, if you leave it in the drawer it's useless. Good luck with your decision

Jimmy

Full frame wouldn't really be for "concealed" carry. I mean, you can…I've carried iwb a government 1911 for years…and it sucked. I'm not sure of the state laws in PA, but if possible, I would just open carry while in the sticks if possible with a full frame.

As to which conceal carry gun…it's always a preference to some degree.

I wouldn't listen to people who say it should "fit your hand." Most concealed carry guns don't fit anything if you have man sized paws, and frankly a skilled shooter doesn't need it to "fit" anything to be able to accurately operate and drive the weapon.

In terms of caliber…I would just go with what you feel comfortable shooting in common calibers above .380. There is a mountain of evidence from medical and shooting death studies in the US that handgun calibers really do suck as far as performance. There is little to any difference in killing power between 9mm, .45 acp, and .40 s&w.

That said, there is a lot of data for .380 as it is a common used caliber, it's safe to say regardless, using a handgun is strictly as effective as the shooters shot placement. In comparison between 9mm and .380, 9mm is about as or even more common, holds about as much ammo even in sub compacts, and has almost significantly better ballistics in general.
I did mention "open carry full frame". My plan is to wear this on my hip as I'm bowhunting.

Also, I domy have full-man-sized-paws… I'd say more "boat salesman" sized than "brick layer" sized. 😂

I had a Glock G23 but I got rid of it. It was a bit thick and heavy but it would've served as decent bear protection and good self defense protection. I wish I still had it since the S&W 686 is much heavier lol.

my 2 cents, having had a gun shop and did formal training, my advice is this, figure out what caliber or calibers you want, and start looking and HOLDING guns you think are potentials, a gun that FITS YOUR hand will be a better buy, than buying any name brand or model that OTHERS tell you to buy!

as guns that fit YOU , you will shoot better period! and like more and be more proficient with it over all!
stuck with name brand guns, and you will be fine, donl;t get caught up in "X" brand ,model, buy what fits you best!

as for bears in PA< the odds of having a conflict with one is extremely rare, as FACT only 1 person in PA's entire history was ever killed by one, just ONE, and that wasn't that long ago, when a traveler threw trash in a dumpster that a mother bear was in, they seen bear climbed a tree that its CUB was in, and well, things went down hill from there for the poor person!

pepper spay might be a better option and less likely to have possible conflicts with a game warden
as YES CC carry is legal now in archery season, but it better be concealed , and that tends to mean HARD to get to, as to having pepper spray out in the open, easier to access! if you follow

and also keep in mind, that when considering BAR caliber hand guns, its NOT Just the caliber to consider, what BULLET you use matters
what works well for HUMANS< doesn;t always work so well on bears!
bears you want solids with deep penetration
for people, you want fast opening and energy transfer
two totally different games being played if you want prime success odds any how!
Bear sightings may be rare elsewhere, but I hunt in Pike County, PA, which has one of the highest black bear populations in the country I've been false charged twice while bowhunting. I've had about four other encounters in the woods while hunting that went better. This purchase is long overdue.

On a serious note, I appreciate your advice. I'm sure the pistol will choose me.

If you could go rent some different pistol at the local range that would help. I have a long history training/ competing with revolvers and pistols. So when I went to Alaska I carried a S&W 4" M29 44 mag. I'd still feel better with it even in black bear country. With today's compacts and sub compacts you have many to chose from. The Sig P365X still offers me a full grip so I don't have to worry about pinching my hand during mag changes. And I'm pretty sure I can pocket carry it with a Alabama pocket holster. If not I'd carry it IWB or appendix carry. But a Glock or S&W Shield Plus would be other choices too.. But for bear I'd pick a larger 40 S&W, 10mm, 41 mag, 44 mag, or 45 LC. If you can shoot them well.

Recent Posts