Your SHTF mandatory gun list.

Your list seems to cover 90 to 95% of everything necessary one thing I don't see is 762 x 39 after all you must consider who is causing the hell in our hand basket and what would they be carrying.
I have tried several times to own and shoot them. But my life experiences fight my keeping one. If, and I say IF, I have the need to use one I will pick it up off the ground. I pray it never comes down to that.

.17 HMR
.45 ACP
9mm
12 GA
300 blackout
6.5 creedmoor

As a reloader, I can (and will) do all but the .17 HMR and 12 GA.

.17 HMR
.45 ACP
9mm
12 GA
300 blackout
6.5 creedmoor

As a reloader, I can (and will) do all but the .17 HMR and 12 GA.
Why both 45 and 9 mm and 300 Blackout and 6.5 CM?

I'd sub a 300 blackout for a 223 if cans were legal here (though if the SreallyHTF, I suppose it doesn't matter). Could serve dual purpose with subsonic for defense and supersonic for hunting/ out to 2 or 300 yds.

Personally, I don't believe there's any significant performance difference between 9mm and 45 using quality defensive ammo. For ball ammo, maybe, but pistols are so much less effective than rifle ammo I wouldn't choose either to use on purpose. Only point to pistols is that they're what they have on you when things go wrong unexpectedly.

If I had to, I could get by with my

10/22 in a Magpul Backpacker stock
12 gauge 870 with a 14" barrel
And something like a
BCM MCMR in 300 blackout with a can https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mk2...out-upper-receiver-group-w-mcmr-10-handguard/
or a
AR10 in 6.5 CM with a 16" barrel and a can.

https://www.stagarms.com/products/s...6&product_list_order=price&rifle_caliber=1003 (like that 18" pursuit in midnight bronze, only comes in 16" in 308)

Just looked at google - why didn't someone tell me there's 6.5 CM subsonic ammo????

I decided this thread needs more pictures, so I'm going to try to post some more later. Even more unfortunately, AR's and variants are banned in Canada 😢

Last edited:
Why both 45 and 9 mm and 300 Blackout and 6.5 CM?

Personally, I don't believe there's any significant performance difference between 9mm and 45 using quality defensive ammo. For ball ammo, maybe, but pistols are so much less effective than rifle ammo I wouldn't choose either to use on purpose. Only point to pistols is that they're what they have on you when things go wrong unexpectedly.

9mm - very prolific; lightweight; high cap mags; reasonably decent terminal ballistics with appropriate bullets (with that said, I've seen a combatant take a 9mm round at the bridge of the nose and still move long enough to grab an AK)

.45 - more punch than 9mm, but still prolific; lower capacity mags than 9mm; 1911s are silly reliable and accurate; lots more energy on target than 9mm

300 blk - subs; could convert 5.56 cases if necessary; very high cap mags; one of the best CQB weapons available

6.5 CM - great precision and ballistics to 1k; low to mid range recoil; good bullet selection; 100% deadly on anything up to medium-sized game with potential for large ungulates (if I could have only 1 cartridge, it would be 6.5CM)

9mm - very prolific; lightweight; high cap mags; reasonably decent terminal ballistics with appropriate bullets (with that said, I've seen a combatant take a 9mm round at the bridge of the nose and still move long enough to grab an AK)

.45 - more punch than 9mm, but still prolific; lower capacity mags than 9mm; 1911s are silly reliable and accurate; lots more energy on target than 9mm

300 blk - subs; could convert 5.56 cases if necessary; very high cap mags; one of the best CQB weapons available

6.5 CM - great precision and ballistics to 1k; low to mid range recoil; good bullet selection; 100% deadly on anything up to medium-sized game with potential for large ungulates (if I could have only 1 cartridge, it would be 6.5CM)

I see your rationale, but given the limited utility of pistols I'd still pick 45 or 9 mm. Would rather have more weapons in fewer calibers than vice versa. In fact, I'm downsizing my collection at the moment. 300 blk and 6.5 CM/308 are definitely complementary but given the utility of both (and just finding out they make 6.5 CM SUBSONIC!!!!) I could make do with either. If forced to pick in a true end of the world scenario, I'd probably go with 300 blackout for compact size of firearm, ammo capacity, and utility out to 250+ yds with supersonic for hunting and defense. Much easier to carry constantly if you are truly in fear for your life. If it's outside 300 yds, not a lot of reasons I need to shoot it.

On the other hand, it's fun to weigh the pros and cons, isn't it. I'm probably swayed by the fact that I can't have an SBR in Canada and think they are awesome.

I'd pick the same as you with one exception. I'd go 30-06 over 308. I don't know about where you are but around me there isn't a deer hunter around that doesn't have at least 5 boxes of 06 in his gun cabinet
I just happen to be set up for .308. Both use most of the same components except case. This is about sustainability, just in case. 308 or '06, it's all good!

I just happen to be set up for .308. Both use most of the same components except case. This is about sustainability, just in case. 308 or '06, it's all good!
I agree totally. I have one 308 and I think 4 30-06's. My dad loved them. And it's actually one of my favorite deer rounds too. Except I run it in a 6.75 pound rifle with a 125 grain bullet. That way it's light enough I can hold it up in a tree stand with no support and the recoil doesn't knock me out the other side of the stand. That 125 grain bullet kicks like a 100 grain 243.

I agree totally. I have one 308 and I think 4 30-06's. My dad loved them. And it's actually one of my favorite deer rounds too. Except I run it in a 6.75 pound rifle with a 125 grain bullet. That way it's light enough I can hold it up in a tree stand with no support and the recoil doesn't knock me out the other side of the stand. That 125 grain bullet kicks like a 100 grain 243.
When I take my '06 out, I shoot 180+. Never smaller. Usually 200+. I like to think big....🤪

Your list seems to cover 90 to 95% of everything necessary one thing I don't see is 762 x 39 after all you must consider who is causing the hell in our hand basket and what would they be carrying.
I don't have an AK, and don't want one. BUT, I think I could be able to pick one up, because I think that there will be plenty around to pickup. They maybe better now, than days of old. They couldn't hit the broadside of a barn door. They are heavy too. You would be better off with an SKS.
If you want to flock shoot then there you go.

I don't have an AK, and don't want one. BUT, I think I could be able to pick one up, because I think that there will be plenty around to pickup. They maybe better now, than days of old. They couldn't hit the broadside of a barn door. They are heavy too. You would be better off with an SKS.
If you want to flock shoot then there you go.
The SKS is front heavy, but pretty accurate. Of course mine is a Chinese model. The original stock was replaced and now it's not as front heavy.

The SKS is front heavy, but pretty accurate. Of course mine is a Chinese model. The original stock was replaced and now it's not as front heavy.
I saw an SKS not to long back. I have a great dislike for any Russia or China firearm. that comes from being in Vietnam in 1969.
Man you are sure getting some weather there. Been reading about the winter kills. That to bad, and I hate to see it. The only good thing is it might refill some of the dams down the Colo. River.
Mexico-North will let most of it go to the Ocean. Not smart enough to add additional storage during dry time. Oroville they could have increased there storage I thing by triple looking at the maps. Shasta Lake if raised 13' could triple the size and storage area.
Can't believe all the stupid people in this country!

Recent Posts