Your reloading process. The long version.

You might want to try Die-wax on the outside of the brass and dry neck lube on the inside of the necks if you are going to stay with expander ball set-up. Both products are available from a number of different shooting suppliers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will be buying new brass and new dies when I can. I will move to a redding bushing die more than likely. For the time being I will try a dry neck lube for the insides and see what happens.

Just for a point of interest, R.C.B.S. case lube is really STP. The dry neck lube on the inside will make the pull back smoother with less noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4Ked,
I was actually going for firings.... sometimes my typer is faster than my speller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have you tried the Hornady one shot case lube?
For "light duty" stuff like fl sizing dies, there isn't a better lube. Great thing is that you can lay the brass out with all the necks pointing one direction, make one quick pass over the bodys of all the cases, then one pass over the necks. Makes both strokes of the press handle smooth as could be.
I had problems with difficult to chamber 243 brass for a while before I figured out that with no lube on the inside of the neck, the shoulder/neck junction was being pulled forward as the expander ball entered the neck. The only other lube (for cases anyway) on my loading bench is imperial wax for forming wildcats.

abinok,are you talking about the red can or black can one shot? the black can is fantastic stuff!best i ever used on guns. i'll never use the red can again nasty stuff in my experience.i "lubed" my press handle with that and spent the next few hours trying to move it! it dries like superglue!

Well guys it has been a few days since we had a response so I would like to thank all that took the time to fill us in on their procedures and use of equipment. I know that more than just myself have learned from it.

If anyone else wants to post their response I will certainly appreciate it. There is no reason this thread of posts should be considered complete. More here is always better.

You know 4Ked Horn this could go on forever! There is really a vary fine book on this subject put out by PS magazine. If you really want a good education on this subject, I think you should visit a bench-rest match. These folks love to help. I will add these folks are the Phd's of the shooting world. But if you can't make it to a match, ask away! What would get the ball rolling again ( for me) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif would be another question!

Question # 1 -- tungsten carbide expander balls versus case lube and regular expander balls. Any real difference?

Question #2 Case trimming -- Trim dies and a file versus crank the handle device. I both and don't like either although a good file makes the trim die easy. Any real difference?

1. HUGE DIFFERANCE as far as ease. Still does not help keep the necks straight! 2. The best is the Wilson case trimmer with all the Sinclare add-ons. This is the best system I found without paying a lot of money, Like over 500.00 for the power system put out by the Pumpkin (who has the best neck turner ever made, also)I too have used a bunch of different equipment and find the Wilson to work as good as the best, its just slow as heck compared to Don's system. The file system, it vary hard to keep the necks square to the base, that's why the Wilson shines! Oh yea, The Pumpkin posts on this site.

The Short Version:
If you are my older brother you feign ignorance of all reloading until I do it for you.
If you are my younger brother you ARE ignorant but just bide your time until I'm not looking and take my finished rounds!
If you are my wife you believe that the plastic ammo boxes are magical and that (like presents on Christmas morning)the rounds just appear when you open the lid. Ironically, her rifle is clean by the same theory. Hmmmm?
Dave.

Ain't genetics a bitch? And how many years did it take you to work all this out Dave in Idaho? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(psst)3six, i'll let you in on a little secret. dave is not married and an only child. it is all in his head. shhhh.

(normal voice)Just joking Dave. You know me, always joking. Heh Heh Heh.

(whispering) but really, all in the head.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts