Your own 1000 plus range?

Where do you live? Out west, there is a ton of BLM land at your disposal. All it takes is a rangefinder and you have the oppurtunity to shoot out to however far you want to really. Granted I wouldnt want to leave my steel targets out there, but you can still set up everything and shoot if you want to. That's what I use to do before I talked a buddy of mine into building a LR shooting range on his ranch. Make friends who own property and ask if you can shoot there, that's another option.

I feel your pain being in south Louisiana. We have one place that goes out to 935 that is public. Other than that they have a 1 mile range just outside of Jackson, Mississippi but that's a 3-4 hour drive for me.

Well I would move then, haha. The west is just so much better all the way around anyway...I only have to drive 15 minutes to shoot for miles...And it doesnt cost anything but $3 for gas to get there, and I'm the only one there to boot. Dont have to deal with anyone, or any idiots... That's just dumb what some of you guys down south and back east have to drive, and pay for to shoot LR. Come out west, we have plenty of room...
20200723_065333.jpg

Last edited:
Well I would move then, haha. The west is just so much better all the way around anyway...I only have to drive 15 minutes to shoot for miles...And it doesnt cost anything but $3 for gas to get there, and I'm the only one there to boot. Dont have to deal with anyone, or any idiots... That's just dumb what some of you guys down south and back east have to drive, and pay for to shoot LR. Come out west, we have plenty of room...
View attachment 226465
If ya invite to many you won't be able to shoot the distance you are now . Due to houses everywhere. Used to be here in Wv you could go shoot on old strip jobs and get a long ways out there. But now with all the leasing crap unless you're on a lease well then you got the public shooting accidents (also known as ranges).

Well I'm not going to lie ..I was Spoiled !
My target ( 36" x 36" ) at 3027 yards !
View attachment 226468

My shooting spot at the Red arrow .
I could do $200.00 a day but you need a big pistol at night in Camp , the darn Grizzly get a little frisky at night !! Ha ha

Rum Man
I think my Taurus Raging Bull 50 cal pistol could handle a Grizzly....but I dont ever want to test that theory...LOL

Rifles only told me very emphatically, when I called, that they are a private club. I could not even pay for a day on the range. Also they seem to cater to Rambo wanna bes based on their advertising not target shooters.

I dont know about the one near Junction. The one north of Austin was shut down by local residents that said it was dangerous.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.