Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters
gonzo is spot on. couldnt agree with him more. have shot the 300 WM for 30 years, too. my first american centerfire rifle. i would never had a -06 or 308 in my battery, but as i get older i appreciate the more efficient cartridges, easier to load for, more inherently accurate and easier on brass, barrels, etc. that is why i would start all over again, i would go with the 300 WSM. No belt, much longer life on the brass, inherent accuracy (they get factory ammo to shoot almost as good as i get from reloads), great bullet selection, etc. all the benefits of the 300 but with no belt and easier to get to shoot. would have a long action tho.
if money was no problem, i would get a 358 RUM. get specialty bullets made by berger in the 300-350 gr range. i knew a sniper in Nam who said that they used a 35 WM at the end of the war. made hits over 1400 yards faily regularly. would even beat the 338 edge out in BC and wind bucking abilities. no belt and a 358 on the jeffries or rigby case would be even better, or a shortened 50 BMG with a 358 or 416 specialty bullet would even be better. gun)

GEESE Louise you can kill anything ""if hit right"" with a .22 I happen to like a little meat left after the kill, the 6.5/284 will do anything all the others will do ""even out to 1000 yds."" and not only will you have a meal left but you will still have a shoulder. "" I shoot a Ruger .257 Roberts LA, 115 gr. berger, 3150 fps. and haven't lost an animal yet"" ""or a meal""
That is kind of like the bow hunter that makes a bad hit and waits until the next day to track it. Have you ever tried to eat an animal that has been dead with the guts left inside for 24 hours?
One shot one kill and NO waste is my moto.. Just a set of horns doesn't make it in my book. ""sorry"" that's just me..gun)

I voted for 6.5/284 but in truth I have a 300 Ack long coming from the smith at this time. But after shooting with my sons last weekend, I think the 6.5 is not far away. The 6.5 was great at 1013 yds after some scope adj.

Ethical and humane kills are every hunters goal. But we've all experienced "Murphy's Law"! Hunting shots at animals are not bench rest perfect. Bad shot placement happens more often in firearms shooting than in arrow placement in bow hunting. Why? The majority of bow hunters spent considerably more time developing their shooting skills and stalking abilities. I share this as a bow hunter and a rifleman. Tracking wounded animals is a skill set that is learned and developed through experiences. Arrow killed game in most cases requires tracking the game to its final resting point. Well placed Rifle shot game usually is DRT or can and does travel less than a 100 yards. Wounded elk on the other hand DO cover allot ground before expiring. Tracking skills are truly challenged.

I've shoot large animals with medium caliber rounds with mixed effects. But all the ones that I've shot with the 300WM die right there or walked (not run) less than 20-30yds. Follow up shots were easy to make. Locating the animal was easy. Getting them out has always been work.

Buy the caliber that suits you and practice allot. Be proficient and develop your hunting and tracking skills.

predatorxtreme.com has a motto: "Hunt Hard, Shoot Straight, Kill Clean, Apologize to No One"

It's something I practice and every hunter no matter what they hunt with is responsible for.

Robert W. Gonzales
Sergeant of Marines Retired
Disabled Veteran

I'd voted for the 338 Edge although I strugled with the idea of the 6.5x284. Reason being, if it was my first gun would I want the recoil of the 338. Oh well, I voted for it and that's my final answer. Even if it's not my first gun, I want one now.LOL
Mike

Possibly the .338lap but currently getting a .376Styer. Ain't got the action yet but I reckon a Kimber or Win 70 will do

Well since my 280 ackley is being built as I am typing this, I voted for the 6.5-284. I saw an elk on tv killed with one the other day at 925 yds and that sealed the deal for me. My 30-338 has been a great gun for years but I just finally decided I wanted something different so I have a 280 Ackley at the smith rite now, depending on what he charges the 6.5 will be soon to follow.

My hunting buddy has been hunting elk with his 280 for 20+ years with great success. His longest kill was 547yds witnessed by me. In all those years we have hand loaded for our specific rifles. Then we spend time out in the back country hiking to simulate hunting. We pick random targets out to 800yds an are allowed 2 shots to hit the target. Then the target is ranged. actual range data is dialed in and 1 shot taken. Great for preparing us for hunting season.

The 280 AI is a great choice. The 6.5-284 isn't to bad either. But barrel life can be the limiting factor. It's a poplar LR competition caliber. So you can't go wrong.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

The list was in good company with one another. Any one of those calibers would be a great choice. It comes down to the desire of the individual. I have to lean toward the 300 Win Mag.

Once I am finished with mo Springfields
and I have a new barrel on my 700 remmi
Thats it for a some time.
Thats if I don't find another 03A3 that calls my name at night.

Niles Coyote,
Both are good choices. The 260/6.5 has outstanding ballistics. I have a Rem700 Classic in 7-08. It's a great rifle. I know several guys that shoot both at the shilouette matches. They both out perform the 308s shooting at 500m. I shoot a 160gr Hornady SST and it slams the rams over everytime. The 260 is just as explosive. For some reason the 308s tend to push them over in slow motion.

For elk I still count on my 300WM.

Gonzo