Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
My prior thread was for the purpose of creating the finalist candidates for this poll.

So the question is SPECIFICALLY, if you had to start all over with currently having no big game rifles, in which of these cartridges would you chamber your next big game rifle?

Last edited:
If it was a rifle it would either be the 7AM or the Edge. For SP's it would be the 7mm Dakota or the 300 Dakota.

If the fur ain't smoking, you don't have the right rifle!

Cyntia350yds4.jpg

What, no 7 STW?. The 7 Rem. Mag. and 7 WSM are close, but not quite. The 7 RUM is a step up, and the 7 AM is another step up.

Kirby is finishing up my new 7 STW. :)

If I had no rifles, I'd get a 300Rum first. The .30 cal bullets are cheaper to shoot than 338 and I could go without a brake. If I had only one rifle, it would not have a brake. Then later the platform would be easy to move to an Edge with a brake, once I filled in the lower end with a 7mm RM.

AJ

I recently finished the magnum craze with a new 300RUM.

Getting tired of torching expensive custom barrels so had a .308 win built. In the works is a new .223 Rem. They aren't very sexy but I expect to be shooting them for a loooooooooooooog time.

I'll probably build a 6mmBR next spring.

Something to be said for getting back to basics.

I recently finished the magnum craze with a new 300RUM.

Getting tired of torching expensive custom barrels so had a .308 win built. In the works is a new .223 Rem. They aren't very sexy but I expect to be shooting them for a loooooooooooooog time.

I'll probably build a 6mmBR next spring.

Something to be said for getting back to basics.

Not to mention the avaiability of good brass..:cool:

Jeff

I'd have to go with a 300 RUM. There isn't much you couldn't get done with a 200 gr Accubond or Partition at 3200 fps. I think my 589 yd elk from this fall would agree with that if he wasn't in the freezer right now!

Oh man, I was the only one to vote for the 300 wsm?... aw shucks!

I like mine a lot and was debating between it and the 7wsm but I am partial to the 30 cal, love the beltless case design, and the 300wsm is the highest recoil I feel comfortable with without a brake. It would have to be a factory chambered round if it was my only rifle. I love loading, and rarely shoot factory cartidges but I can't get over the possibility of loosing my cartidges on a trip.

If the 260rem was on there I would have given that one a lot of thought too!

Len,

Your poll is, for me, is impossible to respond to SPECIFICALLY:D as you request.

Starting all over again with no LR rifle I would go again with the 270 AM. And now knowing the quality/shootability of the 169.5 WC bullet I would have bought a lifetime supply of them. However, I didn't so I have to build my own bullets.

To answer the "my next cartridge" will be. No sense in going a next step. Why not take the Looooooonnnnnggg stride. Neither of my choices are in the poll....... Mostly just cause I can. :D I'm not gonna become extinct with my dreams still in me.............