Your longest shot on game with a 300 Win Mag?

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'd be curious to know what kind of set-ups folks are using at that range.
Are these factory rifles, semi custom or full custom?
Dang, that's some good shooting!

My last lightweight rile was an absolute tack driver it was a Mountain Ti 300 WSM, with a Huskemaw 5-20x50 and I was shooting Nosler Trophy Grade 180 Gr. Accubonds. 500 yards was a give me shot.

.........I totally agree, unless I misconstrued his post, OP did include the bullet/ammo .........Cheers!

You and others did a good job bringing the bullet into the conversation. I was responding to his more recent post about the .300 magnum being a 1000 yard rifle. Intent was to reinforce the bullet portion of what you, and others had said.

Apologies if that did not come through.

You and others did a good job bringing the bullet into the conversation. I was responding to his more recent post about the .300 magnum being a 1000 yard rifle. Intent was to reinforce the bullet portion of what you, and others had said.

Apologies if that did not come through.

No apologies needed, I think we're all in the same mindset. :D:cool:gun)

Cheers!

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'd be curious to know what kind of set-ups folks are using at that range.
Are these factory rifles, semi custom or full custom?
Dang, that's some good shooting!

I harvest mine with an all factory SAKO M995 except for a custom MB install ...

Attachments

• 2013-11-02_10-02-47_757.jpg
    2013-11-02_10-02-47_757.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 96
I harvest mine with an all factory SAKO M995 except for a custom MB install ...

That's incredible! I've always thought 1000 yards was out of reach for a factory rifle, except for the extremely heavy/cumbersome long range rifles.

How much shooting do you do to be able to shoot accurately that far? I'd be happy to be consistent at 500...

Rifle: ER Shaw (these are built on a savage action), 300 Win Mag, 26 in spiral fluted barrel plus brake. Bullet: 180 grain nosler AB, at 3050. Elk at 729, broke both front shoulders and didn't go anyplace. Kicked a few times and that was it.

That's incredible! I've always thought 1000 yards was out of reach for a factory rifle, except for the extremely heavy/cumbersome long range rifles.

How much shooting do you do to be able to shoot accurately that far? I'd be happy to be consistent at 500...

As much as I can (varies from year to year), but believe me, I still have plenty of room to learn (it does not happen overnight and requires lots of time at the range) and nowhere near most of the guys here.

This year, I only hunted with one rifle that I developed load for; .300 WSM with 215 Berger and my tracking log shows I fired 160 rounds from 200-600 yards. It harvested a muley buck at 425 yards.

Here are some factory rifles that rocks ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/TVMCBEe0E_4?t=7[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/cYOTKrYhvZA?t=7[/ame]

Whitetail doe at 804 yards. 208 AMAX dropped here in her tracks.

That's GREAT SHOOTING Man, hats off to you for that one.

In reference to factory bullets getting past 1200 yards accurately, I believe that the Nosler ABLR's in 190 Gr. 300 Win Mag would get you there. I have not shot them yet, but based on Nosler's Load Data they look real slick and that's what I want to shoot out of my new 300 Win Mag. Just Hoping the barrel loves them!

I shoot a remington sendero sfII that has a few minor tweaks (timney trigger, aps muzzle break, skim bedded). I have never shot a big game animal past 720 with it, but did manage to get a rockchuck at 964 after one wiff and subsequent wind correction. Biggest challenge I have found so far is being able to accurately dope your wind. Elevation is relatively easy given benign weather conditions. Shooting more has definitely helped a bunch. I try to shoot about 50 rounds a month, in actual field conditions off of my bipod, just like I would hunt. I don't ever shoot off of a bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.