Your longest shot on game with a 300 Win Mag?

KillerBee

Just bought a 300 Win Mag for Moose, Elk and Deer Hunting and was wondering what it's potential for longer shots is.

What was your longest shot on game and what ammo did you use?

Thanks!

That is one heck of a shot FEENIX, congratulations on that! How far did it go after it was hit? :D

Thanks! Sadly, it did not dropped where I had hoped for. It was a front chest area shot and it just stood there and managed to run off with the herd ~200 yards into a private property. :(

I have no explanation (other than maybe pure adrenaline and the instinct to be with the herd) how he managed to run that far because the bullet did it's job IMHO; it penetrated at least half way in and the internals are souped up. There was a huge pool of blood where he was shot and very visible blood trail. I did not have a safe follow-up shot otherwise I would have done so.

We had to leave him overnight because we can only secure one elk at a time as we where 7 miles out. Luckily, the weather was nice and nothing messed with it and we had permission from the ranch owner to recover. If I have to do it all over again, it would be with 215 or possibly 230. But regardless, my max distance at this time is 1000 yards.

Shortly after I made my shot, my hunting buddy also shot another bull elk from the same herd. He was under 300 yards and he dropped it at spot using 180 grain Berger VLD from HSM with his 7MM Rem Mag.

Four weeks earlier, my other hunting buddy shot a bull elk with his .300 Win Mag using factory loaded 180 TTSX Barnes VOR-TX but it took him 3 shots to finally down the elk. All 3 shots where within 100 yards and hit the vital area; 2 passed through and 1 front shoulder shot that penetrated 3/4 into the elk's body. The herd of bulls that was with his elk was previously shot at above him ~ 10 minutes or so prior.

IMHO, all bullets did their job but the elk expired differently.

I shot a bull elk at 720 with my .300 win mag with the same 190 grain berger vld. Had a similar experience with the bull running 3-400 yards after the hit. I hit him directly behind the shoulder, mid to high lung. I read the above post and actually switched to the 215 last year. I shot a bull at 550 this year and he took 8-10 steps and tipped over. I shot a cow as well at 360, she just locked up and tipped over.

One thing that is for sure, the only consistency you can derive from reading internet forums is the inconsistency...stories abound of the 190 vld being extremely successful.

I just think that each shot is unique, and be prepared to make the best shot you can. I can say that practicing at ranges much greater than 550 in the off season made my shot this year seem sort of like a slam dunk.

Killed a mule deer buck at 970 yards with 215 berger and 300 win mag. Buck dropped on the spot with a golf ball or slightly larger exit.

Jon

Killed a mule deer buck at 970 yards with 215 berger and 300 win mag. Buck dropped on the spot with a golf ball or slightly larger exit.

Jon

Very nice, looks like a 300 Win Mag is a 1000 yard rifle, many have told me that it wasn't. Thanks Jon and great shooting! :)

......Very nice, looks like a 300 Win Mag is a 1000 yard rifle, many have told me that it wasn't..................

I've only been as far as 600 yards, and that was actually a .300 H&H, on a Canadian mule deer, but a .30 caliber 180 grain bullet, is a .30 caliber 180 grain bullet whatever it comes out of.

It worked, no doubt, but instead of focussing on cartridges, I would steer you back to the bullet. While the .300 magnums certainly launch bullets fast enough, accurately enough to deserve inclusion in the conversation, not every bullet will make the cut.

My best typical mulie buck of my life. Killed him in his bed at 587 yards. Hornady 190 BTSP. The bullet broke the shoulder going in & took the top of the heart off. He stood up & fell over dead.
Thanks, Kirk

I've only been as far as 600 yards, and that was actually a .300 H&H, on a Canadian mule deer, but a .30 caliber 180 grain bullet, is a .30 caliber 180 grain bullet whatever it comes out of.

It worked, no doubt, but instead of focussing on cartridges, I would steer you back to the bullet. While the .300 magnums certainly launch bullets fast enough, accurately enough to deserve inclusion in the conversation, not every bullet will make the cut.

I totally agree, unless I misconstrued his post, OP did include the bullet/ammo ...

Just bought a 300 Win Mag for Moose, Elk and Deer Hunting and was wondering what it's potential for longer shots is.

What was your longest shot on game and what ammo did you use?

Thanks!

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.