Your Longest Kill on Game

Some of the other bucks taken by my son and I. All long range the closest one was 600 yards the longest one was 1150 yards.

Attachments

• DSCN0422.jpg
    DSCN0422.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 68
Longest shot was 70 yards on a running muley near Moab, UT. Mostly luck, since I was following him with my scope through some heavy scrub oak running full speed perpendicular to me, waiting for him to cross a clearing. The gun went off unexpectedly (I was aiming where I thought he would be, but couldn't see him). Found him lying 10 feet beyond where I shot, drilled through the neck. Only a 3x3, but with a tall 25" spread. (Winchester model 70 XTR in .300 win mag)

Longest shot can be relative. When I was in high school, I used to hike around with a Jennings J-22 pistol (one of those cheapo pocket .22s) that I bought for 40 bucks. I hit a prairie dog at about 25 yards, a snowshoe hare at 20 yards, and a grouse (in the head) at about 15 yards.

However, my best day of shooting ever was jackrabbit hunting in Wyoming from a jeep with 3 of my buddies. Got 8 rabbits with my Sig p226 9mm. The other guys got 1 each. The best part was that at the end of the day, they had each fired several hundred rounds. I still had 15 left from a single box of 50 hollowpoints. My shortest shot that day was 25 yards, longest about 40 yards. All 8 rabbits were running full speed when hit. Serious fun!

I've always been decent at handgunning, especially with moving targets, but my long range rifle skills have never been all that great. I'm hoping to improve my skills over the next couple of years with lots of practice!

I killed a Cow Moose at 810 yards. One shot, she humped up and turned 180 deg. Stood there for all of 10 seconds then her rear end went out from under her down she went. Just like they do at 80 yards. Complete pass through taking out both lungs and the heart.

But the one I'm most proud of was a grizzly at 620 yards. It was a down hill shot, my Lupold range finder said sight for 578 yards. I dialed 575. Later found out it was a complete pass through, both lungs. Bear turned and started running directly away. Second shot rolled Bear. later found out that shot broke the spine just behind the shoulders. Bear was partially behind a bush, standing on it's front legs looking around. Bear looked like it was ready to start running again, so I put a third shot through it's neck, dropping it instantly. All three shots were killing shots, just I could not tell it at that range.

I was using a .338/378 Weatherby, 250gr Nosler Partition, and a 3.5-15X50 Night Force scope.

486 yards on two antelope does with a 338 Lapua and 280 grain Barnes LRX. Hoping to push it out to the 800 yard range next season. Maybe 1k depending on the conditions :D

750 yard coyote and 750 yard whitetail buck with my 6x47 shooting a 105 berger.

Shot an antelope at 90 yards with my mathews switchback.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.