Your Longest Kill on Game

I killed an elk at a 1000 meters... but then I woke up and realized I had been dreaming. In all seriousness I think my longest was about 150 yards. I used to hunt in TX when I lived down there and the ranches I hunted had heavy brush so not a lot of chance to shoot at range. But now I'm in MT and I'm hoping to change that 150 into something a lot farther, eventually

not much long shots around here , Mine was 410 yds. on a crow walking towards me in a nice green hay field using a Rem. 700 bdl varmit special in .243 win.with a Speer 75 gr. HP and 38 grs. of IMR 4895 .
It looked like I shot a black pillow , little black feathers floated down for minutes .

Dave

I can relate to the black pillow! I shot one out of a tree in Michigan, where I grew up, with a 25-06 and 100 grain speer. It looked like he swallowed some dynamite. A black cloud in the middle and a wing floating down on each side of the tree like a helicopter blade:D......Rich

2011 opening day a raghorn bull elk 1155 one shot DRT. 338ax 300gr Sierra. November 17 4x4 buck eastern MT. 1066 YDS. I love that kirby 338ax. Joe

My longest kill was 850 yds on a Pa. whitetail using a 7mm-300 Wby. and 168 SMK our longest kill was 1150 yds on a Pa. whitetail using a 30-378 Wby and 200 gr. SMK.
Drags

My longest kill to date was a great eastern ground hog at 840 yards with a 300 WSM shooting 175gr Nosler custom comps, through the neck.. There isn't much of a story to go with it other than I was by myself and had no spotter. That was the only ground hog for the summer. I can't wait to hit something with my Lapua with the 300 OTM's.

My longest kill to date was a great eastern ground hog at 840 yards with a 300 WSM shooting 175gr Nosler custom comps, through the neck.. There isn't much of a story to go with it other than I was by myself and had no spotter. That was the only ground hog for the summer. I can't wait to hit something with my Lapua with the 300 OTM's.
I can't wait to see you hit something with the OTM's when I'm there.

Mine was a whitetail doe at 998 yards. Watched her walk up a hill, bed down in the sage, could only see her head , looking in my direction. Hit her between the eyes with my Cooper 6.5x284/5x20 Huskemaw scope.

MY best soo far has been a woodchuck/groundhog at 403 yards. I was actually looking further back in the feild at some turkeys and a couple coons running around. I saw them at the back of the feild but couldn't tell for sure what they were so I stopped and pulled out my 22-250.
The feild rolled a little bit so I had to walk the fence line to get up on a high spot so I could see to the end of the feild. I watched the turkeys for a little bit...then right in my sight line this little buggar popped his head up and then back down on the beans.
I knew the back of the feild was just over 600 and was trying to gauge, but had to wait until he popped up again. Dialed my scope and just waited....sure enough he had to take one more look. I put it right through his throat. He fell forward just like a cartoon! I walked back to the truck and got my range finder. I stood at my gun and shot back to a huge oak tree and got my distance. Then walked out to find him and shot back to the tree again. I could hardly believe it. It turns out to be a pretty good spot. I sit on one side of the treeline and my brother in law sits on the other. Last season out there we had a pretty good pile. And the yotes seem to enjoy our being there too!

This past November...762 yards with a 7.82 Warbird and 210 grain Berger VLD's.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    82 KB · Views: 112
wow!!
nice shooting. been thinking of getting a 6.5 someday, but have done enough long distance to know that it is primarily the shooter. thanks for the story.

First off great shooting using the old kentucky windage method, and for a 15 year old to boot! my longest shot was on a coyote just a couple of months back, at 921. but there is a story behind it. I went out one after noon cause i was bored at the house, I have this spot that i sit on top of a hill and kinda snipe the coyotes down in the valley and across the way on the ridge to my front. I know sooner got my gear set up and started glassing when I spotted 2 dogs on the ridge to my front, a quick shot with the range finder and I dialed up 660 waited for her to stop and pow one dog down, Not 5 minutes later a coyote came out of the brush and took a seat on the frozen pond in the bottom, 366 yds and pow 2 down. then came a couple of hours of nothing so me being me I ranged a rock bluff at 920 and picked out a rock held 2 moa to the right and whack I smoked the rock I was shooting at. not an hour later a coyote came over the top and took a seat on the very rock bluff that I had just shot, well I didnt even bother to range it, just dialed it up held 2 moa and pow 3 dogs down. I always see a dog or 2 when I go to this spot but this was the first time I was able to wack 3 in one sitting. Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.