Your Longest Kill on Game

Good job, Younggun. I m posting my sons,he is now 16.Antelope 530, 5 pt. bull at dusk 540. I shot a gopher at 150 w/ my 22 pistol.

We have done this before. For big game I have shot moose, bear, elk, deer, caribou and antelope over 1000 yards with 270, 7mm, 30 and 338 caliber rifles chambered in several cartridges in each caliber. Longest was 1340 yards on a mule deer near Alder, Montana with a 300 wby mag in the 1970's. I gave the exact distance on the other thread like this because I looked it up in my notes. Shooting from the hip now but I am sure it was 1340 something.

You made that shot from the hip??? WOW!!! :)

Mine is on a Antelope last year. It was 1200 yards when I pulled the trigger, and it turned on me. I was shooting a Desert Tactical Arms, SRS in .338 LM shooting a 300 SMK. the bullet grazed the ribs and hit the front shoulder and she droped. I looked at her and i could see her head up, so i put one more in her as she laid there then i saw her head drop.

just a touch over 300 on a mulie doe, no rest and standing with a Parker Hale safari in a .270 win. Was pretty proud of that one for sure, just don't ask me about my misses lol:)

Last edited:
Killed a mule deer in western nebraska 2010 at approx 350 yards. Longest shot so far. Would not want to try anything further till I am finished with my rifle upgrade project and get some handloads that my ruger likes.

Coyote - 200 yards w/ 18" 223 AR

P-Dog - 400 yards w/ 22" Remington 700 .308

I had just finished sighting in my 700 and the following weekend my hunting partner and I were out glassing for Coyotes. My buddy tells me he sees a P-Dog way out there, so after a few minutes with the range finder and getting set-up, I let one fly.

It was too hard to tell if I connected or not, so we walked out there to check things out and sure enough I had connected with the little bugger! My best ever long range shot to date!

That depends:

White-tail deer: 435yds- 270win, 140btsp horn , 350yds intentional head shot- 243AI, 95NP

Feral Hog: 665yds- 243AI, 95NP

Crow: 890yds- 223AI, don't remember the bullet (borrowed rifle)

Steel: 1270yds- several rifles I was trying out. Tried to use my 243AI with 87Vmax, not sure if I scored a hit.

1003 yards on white tailed doe, with 338 Lapua custom from GA Precision, 300 SMK. Broke her back and finished her with my handgun once I got to her.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.