Votes: 171 33.8%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
63 yards verified with range finder before the shot. Matthews switchback shooting carbon impact fat shafts with a magnus stinger 2 blade. Those things shoot great when turned with your cock feather. The ol girl went roughly 20 yards over the bank and ran into a telephone pole dead on her feet . Or maybe she killed herself running into the pole lol

Here is my first whitetail buck. I am pretty excited about the fact I harvested him. 80 yds., broad side , left to right, 15 mph crosswind, Tenpoint shadow crossbow. Usually, I go out, stomp around the woods for half a day and shoot a mature doe, because I'm bored. I went to IL, for vacation and hunted with a fair chase, free range outfitter. Everyone there, said I was an idiot for going to IL, to hunt, when I live in KS. But, if I take vacation at home, I don't hunt, I work on projects. Any way, super excited about this guy, just thought I'd share. I like seeing other peoples game, so thought I'd share.

Attachments

• 20191121_201415.jpg
    20191121_201415.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 271
When I shot a verticle bow I practiced regularly out to 70 yards. In the woods where I hunt I could never shoot that far but it made the 20-30 yard shots much easier. My longest shot was at a relaxed 8 point ranged at 43 yards. Even relaxed he reacted to the shot but I aimed low anticipating this and my broadhead sheared the top of his heart. He only ran 50 yards and died right on an old logging road.

Killed a whitetail doe, coyotes and hogs at 55 yards, although I usually hold my personal limit to 50 yards. Most everything I take is usually 30 yards or less.
If I had a big bull elk broadside I wouldn't hesitate to let one fly a little further (larger vitals), but definitely nothing over 75.

8 pt whitetail at 43 yards in the eastern PA woods while still hunting. That boy stared me down several times until I was finally able to range him, draw, and sent a Magnus Stinger through his pump station.

58 yards was my 1st Bull Elk kill, Double lung him and he went 25 yards. 2nd Elk was 70 Yards.
3rd Elk 60 yards.
4th Elk 80 yards.
I hunt the desert so I don't having cover to get a animal in closer, it's a real challenge. I shoot nothing but Broadheads 30 days before my hunt opens. I'm 63 and I can't hold as steady as I use to so my 80 yards shots are things of the pass but I feel very confidant out to 70 yards. So when i practice I like to shoot my first arrow out of my bow just like it would be on a animal, last night at 70 yds. I hit 3" to the right of center with perfect elevation.

93 yards antelope
82 yards mule deer
Terrain plays a huge roll on why I practice long range with a bow. Whole lot of country it is super tough to close the distance for spot and stock hunting with very little cover in some areas out west. Yes, you could sit in a ground blind but that gets boring an old.
With that said, it's an awesome experience when you call in big bulls to 10 yards. Nothing like it !

For those guys who answerd "over 100 yards" - I'd be interested in hearing you biggest fish story too.
Old thread I know but I didn't answer the poll. I shot a coyote(not really big game) at 107 rangefinder ranged yards in a food plot while deer hunting last fall. Complete luck. I have shot targets at 100 yards breaking balloons every 10th shot with no consistency. I can keep all my arrows in about a 12-15" circle at 100 yards but never imagined I'd connect on a coyote at that range. Never expected it to still be standing there when the arrow connected. Very cool for sure. Really didn't think I hit the coyote till it wiped out before exiting the food plot. BTW...I did buy 5 lottery tickets that evening on my way home from the hunt. I'll stick I my luck while hunting.

98 yard double lung on a late archery nevada mule deer 6x5 and my biggest buck to date.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    945.8 KB · Views: 56
58 yards was my 1st Bull Elk kill, Double lung him and he went 25 yards. 2nd Elk was 70 Yards.
3rd Elk 60 yards.
4th Elk 80 yards.
I hunt the desert so I don't having cover to get a animal in closer, it's a real challenge. I shoot nothing but Broadheads 30 days before my hunt opens. I'm 63 and I can't hold as steady as I use to so my 80 yards shots are things of the pass but I feel very confidant out to 70 yards. So when i practice I like to shoot my first arrow out of my bow just like it would be on a animal, last night at 70 yds. I hit 3" to the right of center with perfect elevation.
2021 70 Yards perfect shot he went 150 yards.

Last edited: