Votes: 171 33.8%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
Most!!!! ethical shooters will only take the shot if everything is perfect, if it's not then you let it live to grow and maybe it will just slip into the Trophy Dreamland like all great animals will go to when they have outsmarted the smart. Archery and shooting Rifles long range is what I love!!! Practice, practice practice you can never do too much. When it came to archery and Rifle I would tape myself shooting and watch it in super slow motion, I could see every mistake that was being done. It is always me against myself and no one else. I still do it now at 2 months shy of my 75th birthday, practice in a -10 to 90 above, you find out what your made of . Hardhead

Most!!!! ethical shooters will only take the shot if everything is perfect, if it's not then you let it live to grow and maybe it will just slip into the Trophy Dreamland like all great animals will go to when they have outsmarted the smart. Archery and shooting Rifles long range is what I love!!! Practice, practice practice you can never do too much. When it came to archery and Rifle I would tape myself shooting and watch it in super slow motion, I could see every mistake that was being done. It is always me against myself and no one else. I still do it now at 2 months shy of my 75th birthday, practice in a -10 to 90 above, you find out what your made of . Hardhead
This. All of this.
Except you've got a few years on me and it doesn't get that cold in Mississippi!

Stood there and took it like a man at 94yds (that's the exit side-62# bow, 28.5", 450gr total with 125exodus flying 255fps from the bow). Of course conditions were perfect or I'd have never let go. Didn't go 100ft.
I've had Coues spring out of the way at 20-40yds. I think they're much jumpier if the noise is within mountain lion pounce range.
5817D7FF-D86F-4A61-BCBC-195DCA8A20CC.jpeg

42 yard verified with a range finder whitetail.

Never had a reason to shoot farther not to say that I wouldn't in the right conditions but I shot a bow twice a day everyday for about 10 years. 120 arrows a day at 3D and bag targets from 3 yards to 120 yards. On top of that I shot about 25 tournaments a year and went on several sponsored hunts. I like to bow hunt more than anything else but I prefer to shoot, when hunting, inside 25 yards. My aging eyes and back aren't what they use to be!🙂 Besides, Bowhunting to me is about getting in a big bucks living room without him knowing your there and making a clean kill. I don't even want him to know he has been shot!😁

The issue with bow kills beyond about 60 yards, for me, is all the things that can go wrong on game animals when you stretch it beyond 60 yards or so. I have personally witnessed a doe killed just shy of a 100 yards with a bow. A perfect double lung shot. She did not go Twenty yards. DOA! But I do not recommend it. Although it made for great footage, there is always our responsibility to make clean ethical kills. Most modern compound bows are far more capable of shooting targets in another zip code than the ones shooting them. They carry enough energy at 200 yards to kill a 180 lb whitetail but the skill needed to make that shot as well as all of the uncontrollable elements make it In my opinion unethical but at the end of the day each person must make that call for him or herself. At one time I could put 10 shots inside a softball size area at 100 yards but all the stars where aligned, the conditions were ideal, the target wasn't thinking about bolting at the first sign of movement, there was no pressure and the world was at peace. Those conditions don't exist when your hunting any large game animal.