Votes: 452 31.6%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 189 13.2%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 64 4.5%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 110 7.7%

• Total voters
To 1hunter: Thanks for your reply and info of past archery competitions. Until we hear about from someone, or stumble upon information we are ignorant of, we are just that, ignorant. I mean that with absolutley no put down, as some people take the word as meaning "dumb or stupid". I have heard of Camp Perry but never researched it before. Now that a new interest has been spawned for the long range shooting I am sure to be learning many new things. Ballistic coefficient, correollis effect and that %$#$% side wind LOL. I wish there would have been this type of medium to learn from way back in the day. Most of my hunting experience, bow or rifle, came from just going and doing. What a hard way to learn new lessons. I would have loved to have been taught proper woodcraft growing up and think about how much more "successful" I might have been. It has been wonderful to teach my niece how to hunt and see her be able to succeed without all the hard knocks learned alon g the way. Remember, if the ladies don,t find you handsome, let them find you handy.

To 1hunter: Thanks for your reply and info of past archery competitions. Until we hear about from someone, or stumble upon information we are ignorant of, we are just that, ignorant. I mean that with absolutley no put down, as some people take the word as meaning "dumb or stupid". I have heard of Camp Perry but never researched it before. Now that a new interest has been spawned for the long range shooting I am sure to be learning many new things. Ballistic coefficient, correollis effect and that %$#$% side wind LOL. I wish there would have been this type of medium to learn from way back in the day. Most of my hunting experience, bow or rifle, came from just going and doing. What a hard way to learn new lessons. I would have loved to have been taught proper woodcraft growing up and think about how much more "successful" I might have been. It has been wonderful to teach my niece how to hunt and see her be able to succeed without all the hard knocks learned alon g the way. Remember, if the ladies don,t find you handsome, let them find you handy.

Bear 1010 Greetings, I will beg your difference. There is a world of difference
between Ignorance and uninformed. Ignorance means you have heard it, but
choose to ignore it. I am on much the same road as yourself. I just got into
long-range shooting in November of last year. Believe me I have had to learn
a ton of stuff I had never heard of. Like mil-dot and moa. I did get rid of the 4"x5" card board, string and sinker for angle measuring years ago. I bought an inclinometer used by surveyors, a little hand held device that you look through and read the marked number of degrees up or down. Then there is all the reloading tools and books that have to be mastered so you don't blow
up the building your in. Spend days more learning how to correctly mount a scope and get it bore sighted in. I hadn't even shot a round at this point.

There is still bullet spin, windage and mirage control to work on, plus getting
the rifle sighted in so it will shoot out to a 1000 yards. Thanks to the internet
there is a world of how to out there.

Have fun and keep them in the middle and remember Practice, Practice, Practice.

A 5 pt blacktail buck a little over 100 yds and a 5pt bull elk 93yds with rangefinder. Complete pass through with 85 gr. Steelforce broadhead, Carbon Express arrows and Bowtech bow @70lbs.

Good Shooting. Sharp broadheads in the right plsce will do the job quickly.

I can feel the WEST all over the wonderful paragraph you wrote at the end.

Practice, Practice and Practice.

I wrote that when I was 22 and had no idea how it would parallel or describe my life. By profession I've been a financial analyst and advisor for nearly 30 years, but I guide and outfit from August through November every fall. The big blacktail was downhill standing right in front of a large windfall Doug. fir and the arrow sliced through him and sort of pinned him to it for a moment until he jumped ran off. Sucker broke my arrow...the nerve of him!:rolleyes: Good luck with your hunting

Hey Bear, now it't my turn to disagree...Ignorance is just that, one is ignorant of something if they have never learned of it. Stupidity is when we have been informed and choose to ignore it or refuse to believe it. One thing is certain..."you can't fix stupid...even with duct tape!" This is in no way pointed at you, just added for clarification. Good luck with your shooting and hunting

I wrote that when I was 22 and had no idea how it would parallel or describe my life. By profession I've been a financial analyst and advisor for nearly 30 years, but I guide and outfit from August through November every fall. The big blacktail was downhill standing right in front of a large windfall Doug. fir and the arrow sliced through him and sort of pinned him to it for a moment until he jumped ran off. Sucker broke my arrow...the nerve of him!:rolleyes: Good luck with your hunting

I lived in Eugene for 27 years until the University kids and their ceaseless
partying next door finaly drove me out. It was either leave or start mowing
the dope smokers down. Hunted lots over there, got some nice black tail racks
and a few ivorys for my collection.

I much prefer the High desert and no close neighbors.

I take it you must live in the Bend / Lapine area. Love it there and hunt between Mt Thielson, Crescent, and Odell lakes a lot if we're not on the West side of the mountains . Most of my guiding is in that area with some in NW Colorado. . We've taken a lot of big bulls out over the years but we try to hunt where no man in his right mind will go...just a little too tough tittie for most. Trying to get my first book finished and off to the publisher..what else...but a book on Roosevelt elk.

Congratulations on your book. Sounds like your keep busy with your guiding.

Our hunting camp has been over in Sled Springs for the past 8 years. Until
the cougars and bear and now wolves have thinned out the herds to the point
it's become tougher and tougher. With the roads being closed during hunting
season, it used to be a good hunt. Like a five mile hike you would see 25 to 30 bucks, both Mule deer and Whitetails. Everything from a forked horn to trophy
mule deer and Whitetails. Bulls and cows in herds of 40 to 70 animals. A bow
hunters paradise.

Now your lucky to see one elk herd of 10 or 15 and maybe 3 or 4 deer.

So we are scouting some areas a little closer to home. Mostly road closed.

I live outside of Prineville.

Practice, Practice and Practice.

Killed a bull in the timber at 52 yards one time. I like to get a lot closer, but meandering through the timber cow calling one morning I found myself in the middle of a herd that was mostly bedded with a couple up and feeding. I gave my buddy, who was weaving through some vine maple behind me, the stop hand signal. The herd bull was bedded down and I ranged him. As I knocked an arrow, he stood up and quartered away. It was pretty automatic as I drew , anchored and fired. I watched my arrow arc over the sword ferns and disappear through him. He went about 50 yards and I heard him gasp a few times. By the time I focused my binos through the timber and found him, he had tipped over. How the elk didn't smell us as we walked in on them I'll never know. Just lucky for sure. I'd been shooting my bow every day for months at various distances, even between hunts and was quite confident, but that was as far as I ever want to shoot at any animal with archery gear. The next day, I was at work and realized I hadn't recovered my arrow. It kept bugging me, so I left work and rode my bike into the area where I'd got him. I found the ribbon trail used for packing out my meat, and when I reenacted the previous days doings found my arrow 30 yards past where he'd been standing.

Last edited:
Back when I was a kid (14 or 15)and using my old Ben Pearson fiberglass 45# bow. That was my first bow and I shot it every day. I would kill rabbits and squirrels every time my brother and I walked through the woods on the farm. When we got enough my Grandma woule fix them for dinner. One day Deer Season had just opened, and as we walked near the back of the lot, we saw a Buck Deer feeding under an Oak Tree. I raised up and let one go. That arrow seemed to take forever, but it came down high in the side. Did not seem like it went in very far, and the Deer took off running. About 35 yards away was a barbed wire fence. The Deer did not make it across the fence. It came down on the fence and got hung up. We took off running but the deer was dead by the time we got there.

My Dad paced it off at 93 paces, my Grand Pa paced it off at 98 paces. I just know it was a long way. I strutted around for a long time over that one.

Back when I was a kid (14 or 15)and using my old Ben Pearson fiberglass 45# bow. That was my first bow and I shot it every day. I would kill rabbits and squirrels every time my brother and I walked through the woods on the farm. When we got enough my Grandma woule fix them for dinner. One day Deer Season had just opened, and as we walked near the back of the lot, we saw a Buck Deer feeding under an Oak Tree. I raised up and let one go. That arrow seemed to take forever, but it came down high in the side. Did not seem like it went in very far, and the Deer took off running. About 35 yards away was a barbed wire fence. The Deer did not make it across the fence. It came down on the fence and got hung up. We took off running but the deer was dead by the time we got there.

My Dad paced it off at 93 paces, my Grand Pa paced it off at 98 paces. I just know it was a long way. I strutted around for a long time over that one.

Good story and a great heritage, memories of a life time.

That part of the country You live in is a little scarce on deer. But the caribou, moose and bear make up for it.

I lived in Alsaka for 6 years in the 70's.
marvelous place. I go back every once in a while to refresh the memories.

Spent 3 years in Kodiak on Kodiak Island, The big rock. Lots of deer there
Afognak has the Elk, fun place.

I'm practice out to 100 yards three or more times a week now.

Our Elk and Deer season opens last week of August

So its Practice, Practice and Practice.

I grew up in middle Tennessee. I was given that bow at the age of 12, and it was in my hands from that point on. I shot instinctive, no sights, or training of any type I just went out and started shooting. The farm was 35 acres, of grass and woods. That bow became a part of me. I watched Curt Goudy's shows on TV on Saturday. He often featured Fred Bear hunting. I read everything I could find on Fred Bear, and one of them I remember was him hunting the Wood River in Alaska. I swore I would one day hunt the Wood River myself.

Well I have Hunted the Wood River many times. It's just across the Tanana River from where I live. I've taken Caribou, Moose, and loads of Ptarmigan and Grouse with my bow today.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts