• 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 189 13.2%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 64 4.5%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 110 7.7%

• Total voters
Careful, guys.

Talk about how difficult it is and about what can go wrong but not about the "E" word. That can be done on many other sites but not here.

72# AR-34 Bow:

Pronghorn Doe. Ranged at 91 yards. Drew back behind knoll, stepped forward, released. Doe went 20 yards.

Mountain Lion. 81 yards. Unfornuately broadhead blades broke on rib-cage and only punctured one lung. Tracked for 6 hours and lost blood in the rain. Nooooo!!!!

Killed a bull elk at 57 yards. Ranged the distance and no wind elk was not alert that I was there. I shoot at targets out to 80 yards.

my longest ranged at 41 yards and I almost didn't shoot. I guess when the time of truth comes you have to trust in all the practice you have put in.
I got really lucky. A nice 8 point came out on the edge of the woods. It was getting dark fast. I ranged him at 41 - drew back and changed my mind. I watched him walk back into the woods...GRRRRR. I kept watching and dang if he had not circled around and he came right back out of the same spot. I let that Grim Reaper fly and he went down about 50 yards from where he got hit.
Ken

68 yards desert muley, 100 grain muzzy, complete pass through. I hit the deer in the liver ran about 200 yards and fell over.

My longest kill was 82yrds, I was shooting 82lbs, with a 2317 arrow, and a vortex 125grain, that opens to 3in's,the arrow went all the way threw and was laying on top of the grass about 15 feet from were the impact took place, the deer went about 20yrds and fell over dead, the exit hole was about a 5in slice.

Since my old 1993 PSE Infinity SR 1000, @ 60lb / EASTON 2114 XX75 SUPERlites tipped with 100gr Thunderheads, pinned that W/T Doe's front spokes to a NEW axle, from a 30 ft. tree stand @ 45yds....., she went into Overdrive and plowed through a thick briar & vine-patch for 20yds and the drag got to be too much, she was DRT (my longest). That was about 1997 and I was working on my CO ELK plan for the steep N/E slopes-up to 60 degree slopes(thats where the ELK were). We could not hang on at that angle but the ELK could. I had 20, 30, 40 & 50 yd PINS, and practiced at each.

REF the post about the 102yd cow ELK kill! This is not about the BIG "E" but the BIG "T".......Trigonometry.

Just a thought: What if he was on a cliff face or overlook shooting down 60 Degrees on a ledge that the ELK were sneaking along to get to their beds. He would have shot his 51 YD PIN-or 50 if he used KY windage. {;>) ....can't beat "T.M.I.":rolleyes:

Also, here is Len Backus's poll on ACI: Very Interesting.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ne-indicator-aci-uphill-downhill-shots-57727/

What was your longest killing shot on a big game animal?
My longest bow kill was in 1994 in the state of Nevada. I arrowed a mule deer at 72 yards. I used a PSE Pro series Carrol bow 80lbs 29 inch draw with Easton patruded carbon arrows with thunderhead broadheads. I also had a 80/2 Pro Rangefinder made by Ranging Inc. The one that the two images had to come into focus and it gave you the range in yards. That was high Tec gear back then...

Demodan never under estimate the shooting skills of others.

I agree with what your saying about long range shots. One should never take a shot they don't have complete confidence in.

I hunt with 2 bows a Recurve that shoots 196 feet per second and a Compound that shoots 345 FPS. The 2010 season in New York I arrowed a nice buck and 2 doe both with my recurve the longest shot was 12 yards.

Watching deer drop within eye sight is alot easier than following a blood trail.

I tracked 10 deer last year for local bowhunters i recovered 8, not fun after a full day of hunting. My dog loved it.

Demodan never under estimate the shooting skills of others.

I agree with what your saying about long range shots. One should never take a shot they don't have complete confidence in.

I hunt with 2 bows a Recurve that shoots 196 feet per second and a Compound that shoots 345 FPS. The 2010 season in New York I arrowed a nice buck and 2 doe both with my recurve the longest shot was 12 yards.

Watching deer drop within eye sight is alot easier than following a blood trail.

I tracked 10 deer last year for local bowhunters i recovered 8, not fun after a full day of hunting. My dog loved it.

Hi for people are shooting "toooo" light you should be looking to shoot less distance say maxi 60yds with a heavier gr total for a better foc then the prey passes off quicker and drops shorter,to train at 80 /90 yds consitant should not mean we hunt at the same distance ,after all we should not hunt for our "OWN VANITY" but respect what we hunt and kill to confirm and dispatch quickly should be our prioraty.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.