Your long range hunting or target shooting rifle?

matt_3479

I dont really own any long range hunting or target shooting rifles but i am really interested in investing in one. I own a 7mm rem mag and im debating on making that into my long range hunting rifle, but investing in a good scope, and 168 grain berger VLD's. I also own a 300. wsm. I would like a rifle that i can shoot comfortably, for long range shooting or even hunting for ground hogs, whitetail and coyotes. Calibers suggestions would be good, i reload as well

Im really interested in long range shooting and hunting and want to know what your set up is?

Your 7mm would make a fine LR rifle, if it shoots well and you do your part. The ballistics of the 7mm are very good for all but the largest of NA animals at LR. I do not hunt big game per say and love the 6.5mm rounds for LR accuracy. 7mm is a **** fine cartridge IMO, if the rifle shoot well, the cartridge is plenty capable.

I know both my 7mm and 300. wsm are more then capable of becoming a long range gun its just i want it for coyotes, long range shooting, ground hogs and sometimes whitetail. The 7mm and 300. wsm will tear up those coyotes and even do some damage to the whitetail. I can shoot a full day with a 243. win but not really with a 300. wsm.

Mine is a str8 factory setup. A winchester model 70 black shadow 7mm rem mag with factory 26" bbl, 4-16x44 mildot scope (wont mention the name here cause the guys think they're junque), brand x bipod, butler creek nylon sling. I was shooting Hornady 140gr SST heavy magnum ammo but its scarce now and I'm too lazy to reload so will probably switch to the new Hornady TTSX 140 ammo as it's supposed to be faster than their heavy mag. I have it zeroed at 425y and I get less than a 4 inch group, so I guess it's sub-moa. Hard to ssay at longer range if it will open up as I havent made the effort to go to the 1300y range 30 mins from my home.

I just bot an old Ruger 77V from 1977 in .308 with bull barrel and a Leupold 3-9x40 but havent gotten it yet. I wanna try it on some 500y shooting some time.

Good luck with your 7mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.