Your favorite surplus gun to shoot?

Rifleman97

I just pulled out a spam can to check what was in it (couldn't remember if it was 7.62x39 or 7.62x54) and I saw the sticker for how much this can costed me.

And if I remember correctly, I paid even less than that. Bought it at a local sporting goods store that had a deal at the time "buy a gun and get $20 Store credit towards ammo!" I bought a Mosin Nagant for $89, and this spam can of 440 rounds was listed at $119.99, plus $20 off. So I paid $190 plus tax for a 1932 hex receiver Mosin, and 440 rounds of ammunition. Nowadays I couldn't even buy a Mosin for less than $300. Oh inflation, sometimes you make me sad.

AAF1B90C-0135-4F3B-B5B2-96D70F62C0D4.jpeg

image.jpg

Anyways, what's your guys' favorite surplus gun to shoot? The only one I own currently is this Mosin but it's a blast to plink with from time to time.

as to "why haven't you opened that spam can?" I bought 3 of them at the time, this is the last one I have unopened, as I don't shoot this gun super often. Mostly due to the amount of cleaning it takes due to shooting corrosive ammunition, and finding brass ammunition for it (or even just brass and sizing dies for it) isn't Easy. I'm sure they're around but I don't shoot it enough to be willing to try that hard for a gun that is maybe 3-5moa accurate on a good day.

About the same story with a norinko SKS....still shooting the ammo I bought cheap with it back in the 80s. Accurate enough for what it is and 100 percent reliable!
The little Sweede engineers carbine is a flat out shooter and a heck of a truck gun

I have had my mosin for a long time also, it was less than $100 and the spam can was also less than $100.
I have since put an arc angel stock on it also $100 which is like lipstick on a pig, the wood stock looked like it had been run over by a tank "no literally" when I go to the range I bring all three my mosin, M1, and Springfield M1A nat match, and cycle them to let them cool off it's like nostalga day I like them equally all for different reason.
Here she is in all her glory.
IMG_0238.jpg

Dean

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.