Your favorite Quarter Bore and why

I'm considering a build on a custom action with lightweight components and am thinking of what caliber to choose. I have a .243, a few 6.5's, .270, 7mm, and 308. I do not have any .25's, and I think this is a good time to round out my collection. I hunt PA whitetail deer and have been known to walk a few miles scouting in season. I also rarely get shots beyond 300 yards. I'm thinking the 257 Roberts would be a great choice for me.

I would love to hear from all you quarter bore aficionados as to your favorite 25 caliber cartridge and why. Feel free to throw in a hunting story along the way. Looking forward to the campfire chat.
257 bobber and Sierra 90 grain bthp or 100 sp work just fine on deer!! The 257 bob is my favorite had a 257wby and 2506. Just burn more powder and muzzle blast galore!!

I'm considering a build on a custom action with lightweight components and am thinking of what caliber to choose. I have a .243, a few 6.5's, .270, 7mm, and 308. I do not have any .25's, and I think this is a good time to round out my collection. I hunt PA whitetail deer and have been known to walk a few miles scouting in season. I also rarely get shots beyond 300 yards. I'm thinking the 257 Roberts would be a great choice for me.

I would love to hear from all you quarter bore aficionados as to your favorite 25 caliber cartridge and why. Feel free to throw in a hunting story along the way. Looking forward to the campfire chat.
25-277 FURY! Because I've never heard of one.

Terminus Zeus 25 creed, ks arms 1:7 twist 26" medium palma, 131's at 2920fps. Dressed a little differently now wearing a manners prs1T
0D355FEF-E7D2-4EC8-9B39-3066377C7E4A.jpeg

Not even the same thing. Only about 50 thousand more psi.
😞

Not to completely derail this excellent 25cal discussion but I feel the need to keep you from making the 6 o'clock news.

To start.... military designation for that dumpster fire is 6.8x51. Kinda like the 7.62x51 but with a smaller and lighter bullet and a ton of proprietary case design.

So your hypothetical cartridge is going to have 115,000psi?? Um no bud. The hypothetical military round that the tacticool guys are drooling over is an 85k psi load that has a NON-RELOADABLE CASE with a stainless steel case head and primer cup. And is chambered in a proprietary rifle with a proprietary recoil system. High pressure in most modern firearms is 65k psi. So good luck necking down a case that is not re-loadable and that is only available to certain branches of the military AND THEN put it any commercially available bolt action rifle and touch it off. Your necked down 257FURRY cartridge would have somewhere around 105k psi!

Now if you are going to start with the civilian 277furry that is used in the sig cross rifle. its a neutered 58k psi load. The case is 100% brass and would in theory be reloadable. Assuming you can get the brass. My idiot neighbor bought a sig cross over 2 years ago and he has exactly 3 loaded rounds of ammo left out of the 2 boxes he was allowed to purchase with the rifle and zero access to dies. Needless to say that barrel is coming off soon and will be chambered in a cartridge that isn't a solution looking for a problem.

Just make sure you have your affairs in line before that bolt turns your face into a giant bloody donut.

😞

Not to completely derail this excellent 25cal discussion but I feel the need to keep you from making the 6 o'clock news.

To start.... military designation for that dumpster fire is 6.8x51. Kinda like the 7.62x51 but with a smaller and lighter bullet and a ton of proprietary case design.

So your hypothetical cartridge is going to have 115,000psi?? Um no bud. The hypothetical military round that the tacticool guys are drooling over is an 85k psi load that has a NON-RELOADABLE CASE with a stainless steel case head and primer cup. And is chambered in a proprietary rifle with a proprietary recoil system. High pressure in most modern firearms is 65k psi. So good luck necking down a case that is not re-loadable and that is only available to certain branches of the military AND THEN put it any commercially available bolt action rifle and touch it off. Your necked down 257FURRY cartridge would have somewhere around 105k psi!

Now if you are going to start with the civilian 277furry that is used in the sig cross rifle. its a neutered 58k psi load. The case is 100% brass and would in theory be reloadable. Assuming you can get the brass. My idiot neighbor bought a sig cross over 2 years ago and he has exactly 3 loaded rounds of ammo left out of the 2 boxes he was allowed to purchase with the rifle and zero access to dies. Needless to say that barrel is coming off soon and will be chambered in a cartridge that isn't a solution looking for a problem.

Just make sure you have your affairs in line before that bolt turns your face into a giant bloody donut.
I forgot to mention Five Grains more capacity as well. Check that shoulder location as well as the shoulder width. Eventually you have to get your head out of the sand and realize new technology is superior.

I love the 25's.
Years ago I was going to do a 25 Grendel in a mini action. Went with the 6.5 instead and have been regretting it ever since.
But a 25 arc/Grendel in a howa or cz mini would be the cats meow for inside 300 with 90 or 100 grain bullets.
I have shot deer with 25's ranging from a M1 carbine in 256 win mag tow 25 wildcat based on a shortened 416 rigby. I love them all. The wildcat I have to use copper bullets in it since even partitions blow up on the hide.
Currently I am using an ar in 25 Wssm and a 250 savage in a m77 for my 400 and in shots.
Again I love the quarter bore
Any issues feeding those WSSM's in an AR?

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Five Grains more capacity as well. Check that shoulder location as well as the shoulder width. Eventually you have to get your head out of the sand and realize new technology is superior.
25 souper is 1.7840" to the neck shoulder junction.

277furry is 1.7619" to the neck shoulder junction.

so the 25 souper is 0.0221" longer In the case but the 277furry holds 5 grains more powder and is 50k psi higher in pressure?

You win! I guess you can out "marketing" physics. All hail new technology!

For me it would have to be my 257 Blackbird. I had it built for the 131 blackjacks. But since there Extinct right now I've found a good load for the 121 hh's, and 135 bergers. I also have a 257 Robert's, and used to have a weatherby. My kids both shoot a 25 wssm. Which ever one you choose make sure the barrel is twisted properly for the bullet your going to want to shot.

I was wanting to try the blackbird—thought the case layout to be about perfect—I am a 257 wby Uber fan—but I will say the double radius shoulders are not a favorite of mine—it works—but the blackbird seems to be updated

Recent Posts