Your favorite Quarter Bore and why

Got to agree with Panhandle Pete on the 250AI. So very underrated, but your 300 yard distance and Whitetails are taylor made for the 250AI. Now I'd you really want to step up the quarter bore, my 25 Gibbs will outdo my 25:06AI by quite a bit. But I still shoot the 250AI on my Idaho Whitetails. No recoil; easy to load for; it just works and has for a long, long time.

I'm considering a build on a custom action with lightweight components and am thinking of what caliber to choose. I have a .243, a few 6.5's, .270, 7mm, and 308. I do not have any .25's, and I think this is a good time to round out my collection. I hunt PA whitetail deer and have been known to walk a few miles scouting in season. I also rarely get shots beyond 300 yards. I'm thinking the 257 Roberts would be a great choice for me.

I would love to hear from all you quarter bore aficionados as to your favorite 25 caliber cartridge and why. Feel free to throw in a hunting story along the way. Looking forward to the campfire chat.
Well 257 roberts is a fine cmg, currently I'm building a lightweight howa in 25-45 sharps. I'm looking at it as a antelope and Mule deer cmg. BTY I hunt Wyoming.

I bought a Ruger #1 in 25-06 with a 26" barrel. My (lofty) goal is to get a 90gr Absolute Hammer to 3800fps. 3700 is probably more realistic though…once I finish my late brother's deer rifle load development for my niece, I'll get started on the 25-06

I gave my Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts with a Bartlein barrel to my younger brother. He just had shoulder surgery and those 115gr Partitions don't have much recoil in that platform.

3800 fps is realistic I'm up too 3874 fps in my 25-284 with Lapua brass rl19 and the 90 gr hammer

Hey! So if your planning to hunt Eastern Whitetail deer with a walk around gun, and you appreciate firearms history and culture....take a look at the 250-3000 also known as the 250 Savage. If you wanna spice it up you could AI it, but there is no real neeeed for your intended purpose. Just a thought, in the end choose what is interesting to you and is more than capable of your intended use or niche you want to fill. :)

I'm considering a build on a custom action with lightweight components and am thinking of what caliber to choose. I have a .243, a few 6.5's, .270, 7mm, and 308. I do not have any .25's, and I think this is a good time to round out my collection. I hunt PA whitetail deer and have been known to walk a few miles scouting in season. I also rarely get shots beyond 300 yards. I'm thinking the 257 Roberts would be a great choice for me.

I would love to hear from all you quarter bore aficionados as to your favorite 25 caliber cartridge and why. Feel free to throw in a hunting story along the way. Looking forward to the campfire chat.
I've got a .257 Weatherby Mag, Stainless Mark 5 that is a tack-driving piece of machinery that puts everything in the dirt(up to South Texas whitetail). Using factory and Nosler brass, I'm pushing a 115gr Nosler Partition with 65.5gr Viht N-165 and a Federal 215M primer. All that equals 3350 muzzle velocity.

I like the 25-06 just because I started with it but for whitetails at 300 or less the 257 Robert's would be an excellent choice.

If you reload, get a 257 Weatherby and you won't be disappointed. 110gr Accubonds, and if you ever do have to stretch a shot to 500 yards plus, it'll do the job.

yhe original...lots of brass, will do anything you need to do...and well..

Recent Posts