Your favorite long range rifle pic.

Here's the dope on my 22-243AI pictured above.
I originally intended to only shoot 80gr VLD bullets. The Sierra 80's shoot OK and the JLK's just a bit better. After some experimenting with the Hornady 75gr A-Max bullet, I was sold.

The A-Max bullet and RETUMBO powder regularely shoots .5" - .6" @ 200yds. Only problem is that the velocity is too low even with a FULL case (lightly compressed). Currently shooting:
Lapua cases (turned for tight neck chamber)
48.2gr RE22
Fed GM210 primers
75gr A-Max moly coated (NECO method)

Bullets are loaded .007" into the lands. Velocity is 3,668 ft/sec according to my Oehler 35P. Accuracy is under .5 moa.

This bullet at 3,668 ft/sec hits VERY hard, clear out to 700yds and probably much farther. That's about how far I've made hits on groundhogs. Farther shots are hard to find in my hunting area. Bullet frags do occasionally penetrate a fat groundhog at about the 1/4 mile mark.

The hog in the photo was shot @ 454yds and was running directly away from my position on an opposing hill. The bullet hit him just to the left side of his tail and he never moved another inch. He was headed into the thicker crops which can be seen just behind the rifle.

I have been very careful to NOT over heat this barrel/throat while working up loads. With at least 500 rounds down the tube she still shoots like new.

By the way, I refer to this rifle as "Ol' Sparky".
grin.gif

VH

[ 10-03-2003: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

This is my favorite rifle

PGW Timberwolf
338 Lapua
McMillan A4 stock
Tactical Intervention slip cuff sling
Nightforce NXS 5-22X Barrett Adjustable rings

Here is a picture of one of my attempts at 1830 yards (1.039 Miles)

4cb269d0.jpg

[ 10-05-2003: Message edited by: sr90 ]

sr90,
That is sweeeet!
I think if I had to have only one long range rifle I would pick the one you have.
Wayne

Matt
Hang in there it is well worth the wait, when you get yours then you should come out west where you can shoot as far as the eye can see.

Blaine,

2 quick questions - are you able to fit the 4" sunshield on the SN-3 w/ the 20moa base? Also - did the stock bolt handle clear the ocular bell? My guns at the smith currently - but the scope is here so I have no way to verify clearance.

Nice rifles guys, all of them!

Wayne wanted me to post a picture of his 300 Ultra for him.

Here ya go... Nice too Wayne! I like the stock on your 300 Wambo Mag better so I'll have to post it for ya too.
grin.gif
Man you guys really do got some nice rifles.
smile.gif

fae3c16d.jpg

Rem 700 PSS trued, 28" Kreiger Palma barrel chambered in 300 RUM w/ Vais brake, action and barrel done by Mike Bryant, 8.5x25x50 LRT Mildot w/ M1 knobs by Premier Reticles.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts