Your Favorite Elk Cartridge and Why?

I thought farmers harvest things, ranchers slaughter things and hunters kill things. I guess I'm not PC enough to keep up with modern hunters.

;0Depends on who you ask. Tree huggers think we are all murderers :)

Our friends to the north had it right all along ...

Harvesting or Domestic Harvesting in Canada refers to hunting, fishing and plant gathering by First Nations, Métis and Inuit in discussions of aboriginal or treaty rights.

(Harvest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
:):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

I kill varmints and harvest the wild games that I eat ... it's been like this for me for 50+ years long before PC is what it is today.

Last edited:
While I don't own one, my favorite would be a .280 Rem. There is magic in .284 caliber bullets. I did kill a huge bull last September using a 7MM Rem Mag with a 160 grain Partition. There is no doubt in my mind that many big game cartridges would have killed that 900+ pound bull.

I like 22" barreled rifles that are light, easy to carry, and fast to shoulder. From here on out, I'll be hunting everything with a 22" barreled Sako chambered for .270 Win.

It ain't so much the cartridge as what bullets destroy. An elk ain't gonna know whether a .340 Wby Mag or a .30-30 Win shredded its heart.

There's an old hunter's saying that goes something like this: a .243 Win in the boiler room is a whole lot better than an '06 in the guts.

The one I have in my hands at the time. But if I had to choose one caliber, would go with the 300 win mag. Lots of bullet choices, usually buy factory ammo if needed, fair knock down power, good range, seems like you can find brass a little easier for it, or maybe it's just because I have confidence in it.

OK, I will bite. My 338 rum loaded with 300 grain Berger Tactical bullets has been a lights out champion on elk out to my best of 760. Last year my bull shot was only 350 yards but lights out none the less and if it wouldn't have been, the bull would have dropped into a steep nasty canyon and I would still be there packing him out. I still like my 338 rum with 225 accubonds at just under 3300 for a flat shooter. A bad wind call last year made my 300 gr Berger hit farther back than I wanted on a cow elk at 700 yards, but she was doa within 75 yards with a bad hit. Tissue damage kills elk.

I like 338 cal for elk. Personal favorite for dedicated elk caliber is 340 Weatherby. 338 WM and 338 RUM are both great choices as well. 250gr A-Frame has never failed in mine.

I run a 300 wsm with the Zeiss 3x15 x42 hd 5 on top. I shoot 165 Hornady gmxs and they are flat and hit hard. shoot strait this fall guys

300 Win Mag for me! I shoot a Rbros .300 WM with Berger 215 Hybrids at 3,000 fps. I would use that on anything in North America with extreme confidence. I also like a 7 Rem Mag with the 180 Hybrids, but my .300 gets the job most of the time.

Attachments

• Premier 1.jpg
    Premier 1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 95
I shot at least one elk a year since 1958 and have used .243, .30/06, 7x57, as well as a 7mm Remington Magnum and a .308 Win. The sole issue was that each of these rifles were solid .5moa shooters and I took no chances by shooting a ranges that I was uncertain of. As has been stated above, bullet placement counts. As to my favourite bullet, for the bullets:

.243 it was a 100 gr Nosler partition
.30/06 it was a 180 grain Speer Hotcor
7x57 it was a 160 grain Nosler Partition
7mm Rem Mag it was always a 160 grain Speer Hotcor
My recent elk killed was a .308Win using a 180 grain Nosler Partition
(this rifle loves the Hornady 178 grain A-Max bullets too, and I would not hesitate taking an elk with one if at a distance somewhere greater than about 350 yards out.)

Never lost an animal in all that time, and with the exception of the last couple of years, I also took a moose and a white-tailed deer with those rifles each year as well, not to mention other species using the .30/06 like caribou, grizzly, black bear and in the early days when I still had it, my .243 was deadly on mule deer as well.

I would have to say if I were to pick just one of those cartridges it would be the 7mm Remington Magnum in a steel epoxy and pillar bedded Husqvarna Crown grade topped with a Leupold scope, which is presently a VX-3 3.5-10x44. This rifle has shot .375 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards using Hornady A-Max bullets when I am up to it.

I run my Rbros 338 Lapua Imp as a primary long range with 300g SMKs over 100g of Retumbo. Getting about 2940 fps out of a 28" barrel. The backup/lighter rifle is a Christensen 7mm Rem mag. shooting 180g Bergers over 66g H1000.

both are great

Gonna have to go along with the 300 win mag also. I bought a 300 win mag a while back and wouldnt look back for another gun to use for any of my trips.

Gonna have to go along with the 300 win mag also. I bought a model 70 300 win mag a while back and wouldnt look back for another gun to use for any of my trips.

340 wby for about 25 yrs.Thats for my son now,been packing 338 NM for last 5 seasons 300 tact otm

Attachments

• 6x6 & norma.jpg
    6x6 & norma.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 115
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts