Your Experience

Ivorygrip

Had a question for all you that would stumble upon this, what's your thoughts and experiences with the higher end Athlon scopes for LR?
Ive used all the big name stuff so far, Leica, Nightforce, Leupold, Zeiss etc just curios how you all felt they would stack up in a long range shooting and Hunting situation…
looking at a 4/5/6x18/20/24x range, needs to be MOA, would prefer illuminated. But that isn't a deal breaker something in the $1k/1500 range

some of those higher end Athlons fit that for me but i just wanted to have some opinions.

The Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5-29x56 is a dependable scope that will deliver excellent performance. It's made in Japan and is feature rich. We have open box, never mounted scopes for only $1,299.99. Please feel free to give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss the scope.

UHD Glass
Extra-Low Dispersion glass significantly reduces chromatic aberration giving you an utmost bright and sharp image with true color reproduction.

Illuminated Reticle
The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.

First Focal Plane Reticle
First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.

Etched Glass Reticle
Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil

Advanced Fully Multi-Coated
Fully Multi-Coated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses

XPL Coating
XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.

Precision Zero Stop System
The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blind folded.
High Precision Erector System The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change

Aircraft Grade Aluminum
Aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.

Exposed Tactical Direct Dial
Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes

One Piece Tube Construction
Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product

Waterproof
Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater

Fog proof
Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside

Shockproof
Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.

Argon Purged
Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .

The Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5-29x56 is a dependable scope that will deliver excellent performance. It's made in Japan and is feature rich. We have open box, never mounted scopes for only $1,299.99. Please feel free to give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss the scope.

UHD Glass
Extra-Low Dispersion glass significantly reduces chromatic aberration giving you an utmost bright and sharp image with true color reproduction.

Illuminated Reticle
The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.

First Focal Plane Reticle
First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.

Etched Glass Reticle
Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil

Advanced Fully Multi-Coated
Fully Multi-Coated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses

XPL Coating
XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.

Precision Zero Stop System
The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blind folded.
High Precision Erector System The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change

Aircraft Grade Aluminum
Aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.

Exposed Tactical Direct Dial
Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes

One Piece Tube Construction
Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product

Waterproof
Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater

Fog proof
Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside

Shockproof
Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.

Argon Purged
Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
😳

Glad to hear all this good news, i know its been discussed on here before but It's kind of a hard mental barrier to get around putting a Athlo/Arken/Burris etc on a high end custom rifle over one of the more "proven" nightforce/zeiss/trijicon
but i guess that's just a mental aspect myself and others will have to overcome or not.

i am curious How Some of these Athlons compare to the XTR II and III vs the arken

i am curious How Some of these Athlons compare to the XTR II and III vs the arken
The XTR 11 is a solid scope but the glass is its weakness, the XTR 3 is much improved and I'm surprised they aren't more popular as the 3-18x are marked down to $899 from $1,699 at Eurooptic.
The Cronus James tested seems like a great deal at $1,299 but is a bit heavy for a hunting scope although no heavier then an ATACR, just depends on what your expectations are out of a scope.

The XTR 11 is a solid scope but the glass is its weakness, the XTR 3 is much improved and I'm surprised they aren't more popular as the 3-18x are marked down to $899 from $1,699 at Eurooptic.
The Cronus James tested seems like a great deal at $1,299 but is a bit heavy for a hunting scope although no heavier then an ATACR, just depends on what your expectations are out of a scope.
Ok
the weight for this gun isn't a big deal but the xtr III on euro optic caught my eye
decisions decisions…

how does that MOA reticle seem in the xtr looks fairly busy from the picture but its hard to tell in that little picture.

Ok
the weight for this gun isn't a big deal but the xtr III on euro optic caught my eye
decisions decisions…

how does that MOA reticle seem in the xtr looks fairly busy from the picture but its hard to tell in that little picture.
Reticle is just hash marks similar to the MOAR, no Christmas tree. I have no experience with Athlon.

Have an Athlon ARES ETR / 4.5 x 30 x 56 moa on a Savage 338 Lapua. Run it out to 1 mile +, with very good results. Perfect tracking, good glass. $1200 range.
I have the same on a B14R .22LR. I agree on the the glass being pretty good, gets a little dim on high mag and the depth of field is pretty short. Tracking is excellent and illumination is daylight bright if you want it. The parallax and mag rings are pretty stiff on mine but I am very happy with it. If the Cronus can be had for a few hundred more now, I'd go that route and get something made from Japan.