YOUR COLDEST HUNT?

-40°….Regulator in wolf blind frozen. Fingers frost bitten from trying to get it to work. Outfitter won't be back till dark to pick me up. Clothes: Sitka Incinerator bibs and coat will save you from freezing to death…..FYI that's my "happy face"…..
Obviously, frozen in EXCITEMENT.....

Colorado 2nd season elk otc, 2020. -17f in morning, 7f degree high reading from my kestrel. Was set up for 0F, not -17. Not the normal weather for this area.

Got my elk early in morning and spent two days getting it out. Normally half a day to get it out but that cold slowed me down.

Upgraded this year by purchasing hot hands, mittens suppose to be warm to -40f but not waterproof, artic shield boots to go over my boots, sealskins extreme sock, kodiak MF bag with hot sack vapor to keep moisture out. This should work for -17F.

Coldest Day was the winter of 1983 in Nebraska we had -30 temps and near 80 below wind chill
We would chops ice in the tanks for the cows to drink water it would splash on to our coveralls and freeze instantly. you could spit and it froze mid air. The Pheasants would not even fly in the few minutes we got out to walk the cattails our golden retriever would just pin them to the ground. So after that we gave them a break. Back then your hay was put with a Hesston Stacker. When we would tear off the ends with the Farmhand tractor to feed the cows Sparrows would fall out frozen.
Hope I never see anything like that again.

Bowhunting Michigan UP 2nd archery season as a ice fishing/hunting trip. Killed doe when -27 and snowing. I was in treestand and I remember how difficult it was to get down SAFELY and swore never again in tree in those conditions. She didn't go far which is probably tied to how cold it was too! Maybe 20 yards! It was a bee scratch to dress out before hands became unbearable. Hands were first warm from her and then get colder than crap when you pulled them out to clean up. She froze before rigor could set in:eek:
I have heard horror stories about the U P.
All of a sudden ice storms!-25 without figuring the wind chill!

N. AZ just on the south side of the Grand Canyon. 9 degrees and snow end of November. That was my first cold hunt and was decently prepared. Had cabelas zonz bib set and layers and stayed pretty decent. Buddy's trailer wasn't winterized and water pipe froze and cracked.

Back in the late 60's early 70's dad and I tent camped in a place called BIG BOG in Somerset county Maine. We had night time temps in the -3 f range. We had a coleman catalitic heater and the Orange juice container still froze (2 feet away). Or only concern was freezing to the bush outside the tent when Nature called at 4:00 in the morning :)

-10 F in the Missouri River Breaks with a wind chill of -30F in Late November. You dress like the Michelin man and hope you don't have to get to far from the buggy because walking is incredibly hard to do.
Was that about three years ago? We were in there then during Thanksgiving week and the daily high was -10 and at night it would drop to -20. We were rowing down the Missouri for 6 days and by the time we got to putout we were cutting through ice in the river with a 14' rowboat. It gets cold in an aluminum boat at those temps. We had a jetboil and would make hot chocolate and coffee while we were rowing and looking for deer.

-15 was the dumbest day I hunted. Hunting wolves using my snowbike and it took hours to get the **** thing running and the bitter cold was unreal annoying trying to keep warm on a bike. Didn't get a wolf that day either. Since then I have hunted multiple times in 0-10 but when it gets colder than that I don't enjoy hunting that much. I wear a layer of merino wool base, puffy mid, and gortex to cut the wind outers. Balacalava is a must for me in those temps. I wear salomon toundra boots for the most part. Lightweight but warm if I am active. If not active, I wear a pack boot and have heated remote control insoles.

Coldest for me was a couple coyote stands on a day that got down to -46 celsius. They were feeling hungry that day. Got a couple dogs and some minor frostbite.

My coldest was -23 at the truck before snowmobiling up the mtn on a late cow elk hunt. I didn't love it, but we brought out 2 cows that day...

I muzzleloaded a doe at -25 here in MO about 30 years ago. Never again.
She was almost getting frozen after gutting and skinning. Cut her in to pieces and took her in to the house.

When I was younger I HAD to hunt. Now I am smart enough to know that is dangerous weather.