Your Closest Archery Big Game Kill

It would have been this one but I let the little guy walk.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 119
Hunting in standing corn fields on a windy day, it is pretty easy to sneak up on bedded deer. My closest bow shot was 6 ft., and I about got run over when it jumped up and took off. I now make it a point to stay back about 10 paces!

My closest archery big game animal was a bull elk in Montana at 6 yards. I first saw him raking a tree about 90 yards away and we bugled to get his attention. Well that worked and when he heard our bugle he turned and started walking straight toward me. I was standing in front of a large tree and the wind was coming from him to me, so I wasn't worried about getting busted, just on trying to get a shot. As he continued to close the distance I began to wonder if he would ever turn. As he passed 40, then 30, and down to 20 yards I had to remain frozen as he was walking directly toward me. Thankfully at 18 yards he stopped with his head behind a tree, giving me the chance to draw my bow. He then stepped out and continued walking straight toward me. As he passed 15 yards and then 10 yards I was getting prepared for him to run me over as he wasn't presenting a good shot angle at the time. Finally at 6 yards he turned broadside and I released my arrow. The arrow zipped through his ribcage, amazingly not hitting any bone. He took 3-4 steps and just stood there, looking around for the "bull" he had heard. I remained motionless and the bull expired about 10 yards from me, no blood trail needed. What an amazing experience.

My closest archery big game animal was a bull elk in Montana at 6 yards. I first saw him raking a tree about 90 yards away and we bugled to get his attention. Well that worked and when he heard our bugle he turned and started walking straight toward me. I was standing in front of a large tree and the wind was coming from him to me, so I wasn't worried about getting busted, just on trying to get a shot. As he continued to close the distance I began to wonder if he would ever turn. As he passed 40, then 30, and down to 20 yards I had to remain frozen as he was walking directly toward me. Thankfully at 18 yards he stopped with his head behind a tree, giving me the chance to draw my bow. He then stepped out and continued walking straight toward me. As he passed 15 yards and then 10 yards I was getting prepared for him to run me over as he wasn't presenting a good shot angle at the time. Finally at 6 yards he turned broadside and I released my arrow. The arrow zipped through his ribcage, amazingly not hitting any bone. He took 3-4 steps and just stood there, looking around for the "bull" he had heard. I remained motionless and the bull expired about 10 yards from me, no blood trail needed. What an amazing experience.
Intense!!!! Love it!!!